Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.99.2 Released With GTK3 UI, Working Wayland Support, Other Big Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GIMP 2.99.2 Released With GTK3 UI, Working Wayland Support, Other Big Changes

    Phoronix: GIMP 2.99.2 Released With GTK3 UI, Working Wayland Support, Other Big Changes

    GIMP 2.99.2 is finally available as their "first step" towards releasing GIMP 3.0 that most notably transitions from the GTK2 to GTK3 toolkit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....99.2-Released

  • #2
    They should copy Photoshop and put the menu into the titlebar

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      They should copy Photoshop and put the menu into the titlebar
      I believe this is one of the things that Wayland will allow more readily via client-side decorations

      Comment


      • #4

        it's not clear how to Install from flathub beta, so if you ask:

        flatpak remote-add flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
        flatpak install gimp
        # choose to install from flathub-beta
        and to run (if you already have stable version installed)

        flatpak run --branch=beta org.gimp.GIMP

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
          They should copy Photoshop...
          There is a great way to get a program that looks and works just like Photoshop: buy the fucking Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

          Comment


          • #6
            Great. When do we get GTK4 support?

            Comment


            • #7
              There are some things in here that are big for me. The first is better support for high pixel density displays. The second is better support for input devices. We will have to see what that really means but if it helps with supporting tablets other than Wacom that will be a big plus.


              Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
              There is a great way to get a program that looks and works just like Photoshop: buy the fucking Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.
              While I agree that just recreating some thing that already exists doesn't help any one. The days of single threaded graphical applications is coming to an end for any one doing serious work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great, I guess. Though as far as visuals end user functionality goes, I don't remember ever wanting anything beyond what already GTK1.x did.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As we likely will have some "Why took it so long" people. Always keep in mind that GIMP is literally the oldest GTK app as GTK was extracted out of GIMP, Gimp in version 2 still heavily used GTK1 style things that were still allowed in GTK2 but not at all in GTK3 as well as a lot of direct X11 calls. That all had to be ported to their modern back-end independent GTK3 equivalent.

                  Now that the GTK3 port is nearly done and me having high hopes that its creators took care to not use things that GTK3 sees as allowed but discouraged, a GTK4 port should not be that big of a deal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    The second is better support for input devices. We will have to see what that really means but if it helps with supporting tablets other than Wacom that will be a big plus.
                    That is really mostly up to GTK

                    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    The days of single threaded graphical applications is coming to an end for any one doing serious work.
                    Completely agreed. Do you know GIMP has quite a few things with async implementation? Like loading fonts, painting...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X