Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Are you the authority on Kopete then?

What about the people who posted on the KDE forums having problems with Kopete? Are they to blame, too?

I don't know who is to blame but it suddenly stopped working a while back. Some update with a bug? I dunno...
    whatever. I have several kopete users on my contact list and none of them has problems. Sure - forums are the place where people with problems congregate, so you wil find always people with problems there. The same is true for pidgin btw - enough people with problems. Or trillian. Or miranda. Or original icq.

And a lot of times the problems are nothing but ID10T or PEBCAC or caused by shoody distributions.

And your 'suddenly it stopped' - so did you update or not? And if you update - maybe it was akonadi related - like you had it turned off.

but at the end: the last usable gnome desktop was 1.4.2. Since then every single gnome release was crap. gtk? A mess. A buggy, bloated mess. Visual bland. kmail in 4.3? It simply does not crash. (and I have several hundreds of thousands mails in my mailbox structure) while evolution is famous for its half douzend crashes a day. KDE makes use of python, ruby, c++. Gnome is playing trojan horse for MONO.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      KDE makes use of python, ruby, c++. Gnome is playing trojan horse for MONO.

Maybe not if Vala becomes popular in the Gnome crowd. I kind of like it, and it seems to be gaining ground.

Comment

Vala - another great idea by gnome. There is a bazillion languages out there. But gnome has to 'invent' its own crap - because somebody might reuse their stuff otherwise.

Pretty antisocial - but what do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Maybe not if Vala becomes popular in the Gnome crowd. I kind of like it, and it seems to be gaining ground.
          A bit off topic, but as a developer, I find the idea of "crowds" within a project having enough influence to direct such low-level aspects of the design spontaneously to be quite disturbing.

Comment

Other than that, I am not a fanatic about any of the other programs save Synaptic but it seems many KDE distros are not using it as default or even not supporting/favoring it?
            Well KDE has no default package manager. That is dependent on the distro and their packaging. Synaptic is a deb thing, not a de thing.

Comment

Vala - another great idea by gnome. There is a bazillion languages out there. But gnome has to 'invent' its own crap - because somebody might reuse their stuff otherwise.

Pretty antisocial - but what do you expect?
              I don't understand this. The language is licensed LGPL - pretty much as permissive as you can get. It's innovative and brings options to gnome programmers that C can't directly provide. If few people find it useful then it will die out, but you can hardly call it 'antisocial'.

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
              A bit off topic, but as a developer, I find the idea of "crowds" within a project having enough influence to direct such low-level aspects of the design spontaneously to be quite disturbing.
              As a Free Software project, isn't this kind of meritocracy what it's all about?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Well KDE has no default package manager. That is dependent on the distro and their packaging. Synaptic is a deb thing, not a de thing.
                Is this still true? In System Settings I see an entry called "Add and Remove Software", which is actually the KPackageKit program. I assume this is the default KDE package manager based on PackageKit.

Comment

whatever. I have several kopete users on my contact list and none of them has problems. Sure - forums are the place where people with problems congregate, so you wil find always people with problems there. The same is true for pidgin btw - enough people with problems. Or trillian. Or miranda. Or original icq.

And a lot of times the problems are nothing but ID10T or PEBCAC or caused by shoody distributions.
                  Well, if I have a problem I google and if possible, check the specific application page if they have a board, user support forum or whatever is available to investigate any issues or problems similar to mine.

I also found various bug reports. These suggested a problem with using the Yahoo protocol. Maybe it works for you since you use a different protocol but once again, I reiterate. It works for you: good. But, THAT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. Why do people always state this when someone ELSE has an issue as if it magically means the other guy who is having the problem is WRONG OR that the issue is now unimportant or the complaint is not valid anymore. Geez.....

Maybe I am doing something wrong but maybe not. I just don't think one can automatically conclude my complaint or concern is insignificant or I'm somehow misguided since someone else using the same application is insisting there is no problem since it 'works for them.'
                  Last edited by Panix; 16 August 2009, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    KDE's package manager is kpackagekit (as mentioned above), though whether its used as defualt in a distribution is up to the devs of that particular distro. synaptic was orriginally a deb thing but has also been ported to RPM based distro's.

Comment

Well, if I have a problem I google and if possible, check the specific application page if they have a board, user support forum or whatever is available to investigate any issues or problems similar to mine.

I also found various bug reports. These suggested a problem with using the Yahoo protocol. Maybe it works for you since you use a different protocol but once again, I reiterate. It works for you: good. But, THAT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. Why do people always state this when someone ELSE has an issue as if it magically means the other guy who is having the problem is WRONG OR that the issue is now unimportant or the complaint is not valid anymore. Geez.....

Maybe I am doing something wrong but maybe not. I just don't think one can automatically conclude my complaint or concern is insignificant or I'm somehow misguided since someone else using the same application is insisting there is no problem since it 'works for them.'
                      so don't use kopete - its just an app, i use kde and i have pidgin rather then kopete.

Comment

Working...
                      X