KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    have you thought about using another kde 4 distro? i've never experienced any of those bugs with kde 4.2 on arch - and i do realize that arch isn't as easy to use as kubuntu, but something like fedora should work better for you - at least from my experience.
    KDE is a mess in Kubuntu. In Arch, it's perfect :> However, I'm not saying Arch is better then Kubuntu, because it depends on personal feelings.
    Last edited by kraftman; 29 July 2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Primary Desktop: KDE 3.5.10 [Slackware 12.2]
      Virtual Machine: KDE 4.3.61 (trunk 4.4svn) [Arch Linux 2009.02+]
      Secondary Desktop: KDE 4.2.4 [Kubuntu 9.04]
      HTPC: Xfce 4.4.3 [Mythbuntu 8.10]

The KDE packages from both Slackware and Arch are excellent, in terms of performance and stability. Whereas, Ubuntu was flaky at best in the past. This is, thankfully, no longer the case as the packages have shown a marked improvement. Not perfect but much better than they were.

I'll probably upgrade my main system to KDE 4.3.x with the release of Slackware 13. While lacking in some areas it has rapidly matured into something usable, productive and innovative with substantial potential for future growth. Needless to say, the future is indeed bright.

I find Xfce to be resource-restrained and sufficiently feature abundant for my needs. It doesn't get in my way with any unnecessary clutter and it reminds me of CDE to some extent (bonus points++).

On the other hand, GNOME's interface consistency and tight integration has always appealed to me. However, I enjoy a finely tuned work environment. By finely tuned I mean tailored to the nth degree.
      Last edited by Eps!lon; 29 July 2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I'm not saying Arch is better then Kubuntu, because it depends on personal feelings.
        right, arch and ubuntu have entirely different target users - they are hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

Kopete doesn't even work on KDE 4. How can you guys say it's so great?!? *shrugs shoulders*

Comment

I ownder what the purpose of this kind of gallups is anyway. Get Gnome and KDE to mimic each other so you won't know the difference anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Kopete doesn't even work on KDE 4. How can you guys say it's so great?!? *shrugs shoulders*
              kopete works very well in kde4. /me is using it every freaking day.

So - whom to blame? your distro or you?

Comment

Originally posted by linmin View Post
                KDE was overall an unstable and unusable mess. KDE 4 is even worse. The world would be better off if all the KDE developers were rounded up and shot. I'll take Windows Me over KDE. Just my opinion of course, but I really can't understand why people still use KDE.
                I'm sorry, but serious, WHAT? I know the feelings around KDE vs Gnome get rather heated sometimes, but that is a seriously harsh thing to say. These people spend many hours of their own time trying to get freedom a place in every home. You consider that a reason to be shot. Thanks a lot.

On the KDE vs Gnome thing - personally, I don't understand why people want to use 1990 technology. KDE has a vision and is actually trying to bring the FOSS desktop to the level where it can compete with MS and Apple. The competition still tries to re-create windows 95 with a few usability improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                  The very only "feature" I miss, is global proxy support in KDE. Like the proxy support in gnome's proxy settings (Ubuntu). But I don't that feature existed in kde 3.5 neither.
                  Actually, it DID exist in KDE 3.5, had for years. But the proxy support in Qt clashes with what we wrote, and nobody has yet figured out how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jospoortvliet View Post
                    I'm sorry, but serious, WHAT? I know the feelings around KDE vs Gnome get rather heated sometimes, but that is a seriously harsh thing to say. These people spend many hours of their own time trying to get freedom a place in every home. You consider that a reason to be shot. Thanks a lot.

On the KDE vs Gnome thing - personally, I don't understand why people want to use 1990 technology. KDE has a vision and is actually trying to bring the FOSS desktop to the level where it can compete with MS and Apple. The competition still tries to re-create windows 95 with a few usability improvements.
                    linmin is either trolling - or is using a kde hating crap distro like Fedora or Ubuntu which make KDE much, much worse.

I mean, there are people using ubuntu who think that the enhanced thing is 'gnome'. No my friends - bare gnome has a lot less features - and a lot more bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      try an unpatched (ie not enhanced by ubuntu, novel or redhat) gnome. After 5 minutes you will scream in anguish and mkfs the partition.
                      I am using vanilla Gnome on Arch and it's working flawlessly.

Kubuntu/KDE 4.2 on the other hand... Let's say I really tried to like it. No stability issues actually, but usability is rock bottom. Every single application has slightly different UI semantics. Take the font options in the control center (or was it Kontrol Kender? Never kould tell) - the UI is totally messed up! Now compare it with Appearance/Fonts on Gnome.

Stuff like that is why Gnome's the default desktop in all distros that count.

Comment

Working...
                      X