Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 87 Beta Brings Further FTP Deprecation, Cookie Store API

Phoronix: Chrome 87 Beta Brings Further FTP Deprecation, Cookie Store API

Following last week's release of Chrome 86, Google has promoted its Chrome 87 web browser to beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

but the as to the state it will be in if ready for Chrome 87
    What?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      What?
      Well, that sentence is about as clear as the schedules/targets to fully enable wayland, so there is symmetry.

Comment

What is the reasoning behind disabling and then removing FTP support?

Comment

Why disable ftp? It is still a valid platform for downloading iso images of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            It's not quite as popular as HTTP for downloads nowadays. I rarely see FTP hosts in the wild anymore in 2020.

Either way, if you still stumble upon a FTP link, the `ftp` command line client and `curl` are going nowhere

Comment

Maybe to force people to HTTP and then with a later move to force them to HTTPS for which somebody needs to pay SSL certificates yearly.
              Of course there's Let's encrypt who gives them for free, but I wouldn't be surprised if later they ban Let's encrypt also saying that it's insecure and you need to pay for a SSL certificate.
              We'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Maybe to force people to HTTP and then with a later move to force them to HTTPS for which somebody needs to pay SSL certificates yearly.
                Of course there's Let's encrypt who gives them for free, but I wouldn't be surprised if later they ban Let's encrypt also saying that it's insecure and you need to pay for a SSL certificate.
                We'll see...
                You know that SFTP exists if you want encrypted FTP connections?

Comment

You know that it requires SSH, right?

(and if you are talking about FTPS, nobody uses that)

Furthermore, the difficulty of getting a file from HTTP vs. FTP:

-FTP-
                  1. Connect
                  2. Login with anonymous username
                  3. Enter some binary mode
                  4. Send a few commands to further make the server happy
                  5. CD to directory
                  6. Send the get file command
                  7. Get the file

-HTTP-
                  1. Connect
                  2. GET /file HTTP/1.1
                  3. Get the file
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 16 October 2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I know, as my file manager (Dolphin) supports it along with FISH, but I never heard of a browser supporting SFTP and how that would work, if it would need a SSL certificate.

Comment

Working...
                    X