KDE Plasma 5.20 Released With Better Wayland Support, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, Windows 10 is a really good operating system and it has a very easy to use user interface. It is very well liked and popular and used by hundred of millions of people. It has a great user experience.
    Plasma default configuration is quite similar to Windows. A bottom bar, with some default applications, ao icon to open a menu with all other functions, system tray and clock

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed.delanight View Post
      Meanwhile, the file browsing component still has a critical unfixed memory leaking bug when a process is watching the filesystem that makes Dolphin and other apps unusable.
      You came here every plasma release to say about it, but never provide the link to the bug report. More than one KDE developer asked for the link in past posts, but you never reply. Complaining about bug in a post (for another software, since dolphin is not from plasma, it's from kde applications) will never help.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

That's not correct. You can choose from this options: none, wallpaper, centered, scaled, stretched, zoom or spanned in /org/gnome/desktop/background/picture-options.
        Since KDE devs can't change the build process from all distros, this is the only thing they can do.

Comment

That's not correct. You can choose from this options: none, wallpaper, centered, scaled, stretched, zoom or spanned in /org/gnome/desktop/background/picture-options.
          For new users, it's simple to find a config file hidden in the filesystem with some possible mysterious values than use a graphical interface to change it?

Comment

So, to do something as simple as change how the desktop background is handled, you need to do the equivalent of editing the registry. In fact, it's technically more dangerous than that. And you consider this a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed.delanight View Post
              Meanwhile, the file browsing component still has a critical unfixed memory leaking bug when a process is watching the filesystem that makes Dolphin and other apps unusable.
              Fix https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=398908

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                this bug is marked as solved by this PR, if it's not solved for you, you need to reopen it or open another one.

Comment

Being a GNOME user for several years, so I know what I am saying.
                  I'm really tired on using it because:
                  • no application bar
                  • no tray bar (need it for NoMachine NX, Remmina, Skype, etc)
                  • I know there are extension. But the extension system itself it is the worst I ever seen. I have many crashes due to ... JAVASCRIPT extensions! Interpreted JAVASCRIPT extensions can crash gnome shell because the crap gjs component can do memory leaks!
                  • When I update extensions with the official gnome browser extension, 99% of all times it gives error.
                  • I said I hate the gnome extension system, right? I am not the only. The extension developers are hating it, too. Often new GNOME release causes incompatibility to existing extension (see ArcMenu developer so tired that ceased to maintain it).
                  This happens on an "official GNOME supporter" Fedora system. I am using it from 5 years at work. I would not recommend anymore it to use for production, it's only a user interface for tablets. It seems that GNOME developers doesn't know that it's common used in DESKTOPS rather than tablets.

So... 6 months ago I did a try with KDE Neon. On my home PCs. And I said: finally an FRIENDLY user interface! Soon I will use it on my production PC too, to never see GNOME again.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, Windows 10 is a really good operating system and it has a very easy to use user interface. It is very well liked and popular and used by hundred of millions of people. It has a great user experience.
                    You've got to be kidding. Windows 10 and its UI is terrible, unholy mess. KDE, Gnome eats this shit for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by DKJones View Post

If he thinks KDE looks terrible, just wait till he sees GNOME.
                      Well visually I - as a KDE nerd - find Gnome pleasing. It does look like a very fine and consistent (and eye pleasing) design. I just can't deal with the minimalism. The default workflow just isn't for me (I tried it multiple weeks). Extensions can lessen that burden a bit, but they are horrible to update and one even managed to cripple my system (I was no longer able to unlock the lockscreen ... took me a while to figure out it was an extension.)

I have nothing againt Gnome. It's just not my personal taste. KDE is.

Comment

Working...
                      X