Systemd Startup For KDE Plasma 5.21 Has Helped Uncover Bugs, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
    See ... there is no censorship in Phoronix Forums!
    Did anyone claim there wasn't? Oh, and https://xkcd.com/1357/

Comment

So what were those bugs that were fixed that helped make things faster for everyone? got any benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
        So what were those bugs that were fixed that helped make things faster for everyone? got any benchmarks?
        I wondered as well what bugs have been fixed, the blog post contains just a lot of text but not much technical details.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          "helped uncover bugs" hehe, I know that Plasma and Qt are different projects but when Qt brags about fixing 500 bugs between update releases you realize it means that shit is buggy as hell and Plasma is too.
          Although its easy to throw dung at software projects, a more mature response is warranted. Its important to realize the scope of Qt versus something like GTK, i.e. QT is basically not just a "GUI library" but it provides an entire stack for developing applications, i.e. QT provides its own standard library along with its own libraries for doing things like SQL transactions (see https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/sql-sqlstatements.html) and networking. On the other hand, GTK is really just providing a GUI library and thats it.

So its not surprising that QT has so many bugs when it happens to contain everything and including the kitchen sink in its scope.

QT is also cross platform where as lets face it, GTK only really targets *nix systems. GTK's implementation for Mac/Windows is frankly terrible.
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 02 October 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post

I assume you are using it on Xorg.
            If we talk about the stability of a DE, we cannot ignore its default settings. If Plasma uses Xorg by default it is because the Plasma developers do not think the Wayland version is ready yet, so the Plasma wayland session is experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              "helped uncover bugs" hehe, I know that Plasma and Qt are different projects but when Qt brags about fixing 500 bugs between update releases you realize it means that shit is buggy as hell and Plasma is too.
              By the same logic every sizeable software project is some buggy as hell shit. And Linux would be the worst of the worst

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Plasma 5.19.90 has something crashing in the background ALL the time, and I mean literally, **all** the time.
                Haven't you installed Pipewire Dropin packages from AUR?
                Check 'journalctl -xe' output, if it's kded5, it can be caused by pipewire dropins.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                  Haven't you installed Pipewire Dropin packages from AUR?
                  Check 'journalctl -xe' output, if it's kded5, it can be caused by pipewire dropins.
                  It is due to database corruption. The bug is already reported.

Comment

tildearrow : so if it's Akonadi or Baloo, then I'm not affected, because I've disabled their databases long ago ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                      tildearrow : so if it's Akonadi or Baloo, then I'm not affected, because I've disabled their databases long ago ;-)
                      Nope, it is kactivitymanagerd.

Comment

Working...
                      X