X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    What is the status on merging/replacing upstream?
    I see this offered sooner as a plain kwin replacement package.
    With any luck, some distros will pick it up once it goes stable. I see Manjaro already does that and there's an AUR for Arch as well. I'm going to give it a try once I get 5.20.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Qt is not just an UI toolkit....
    I think it branched out in too many places. And when it's trying to reinvent the wheel from libstdc++ - that's not good. And I'm not convinced that it's actually better. It's using rather ancient approach to code design. Modern C++ is far ahead already.

Either way, for high level language I'd go with Rust over C++ if there is a choice and I'd go for libstdc++ over Qt analogs otherwise.
    Last edited by shmerl; 27 September 2020, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    I don't think KWin as a compositor has to rely on Qt. It's just wrong design, so I totally support Roman's goal here. Qt should be limited to UI use cases, not used as a replacement for C++ standard libraries which Qt tries to do in quite a number of areas.
    Qt is not just an UI toolkit...
    Using Qt for C++ development is so much easier, than standard C++. You have signal/slots, JSON-, XML-support, HTTP(S) support etc.
    Compare also QVector with std::vector. QVector has a contains-method, while for std::vector you have to use std::find() which produces unreadable code.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Go go go go!
    144Hz cheering KDE? That's a rare treat...

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    I don't think KWin as a compositor has to rely on Qt. It's just wrong design, so I totally support Roman's goal here. Qt should be limited to UI use cases, not used as a replacement for C++ standard libraries which Qt tries to do in quite a number of areas.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitch View Post

I've been wondering about this as well. Would the KDE group be open to accepting this fork to replace existing stuff? Maybe for Plasma 6.0? I feel like such a rebuild is akin to the introduction of Wayland. It's invasive but it pays off hugely, cleans up debt, improves the code, and makes the software more modern and easy to work with.

I'm grateful for Roman and everyone else involved in this project.
    I think, the KDE-folks and Roman have different goals. I. e. Roman want to gets rid of the Qt-dependency while the KDE-folks rely on Qt.
    Roman wants solutions which are agnostic of desktops. - KDE-folks want solutions which fit well to KDE.
    Last edited by Steffo; 27 September 2020, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EmbraceUnity
    replied
    Definitely hope this becomes KWin 6

Or at minimum I hope it becomes included in standard repositories for the major distros.

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I've been wondering about this as well. Would the KDE group be open to accepting this fork to replace existing stuff? Maybe for Plasma 6.0? I feel like such a rebuild is akin to the introduction of Wayland. It's invasive but it pays off hugely, cleans up debt, improves the code, and makes the software more modern and easy to work with.

I'm grateful for Roman and everyone else involved in this project.

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Go go go go!
    Rust rust rust rust!

D D D D!

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X