X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post

I never said that, but Qt will be or is in the way of being mismanaged to death. How this will affect the code base is to be seen.
    Their financial data tells another story

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    So basically you have no clue how, yet are still pretty sure using Qt is a bad idea. Kudos.
    I never said that, but Qt will be or is in the way of being mismanaged to death. How this will affect the code base is to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied

Seems you also ignored their most recent move of restricting GPL releases.

.NET and C# aimed to kill Java though, it never had anything to do with Linux specifically. It wouldn't do much harm anyway, as it became pretty much one more language in an already huge selection.
    Of course I didn't like that, but it won't affect Kde in any way, because they're not tied to LTS releases.

The only ones really hit by that decision are small business (like the one I work for), because now we'll have to update too soon or stay outdated.
    In this regard I think nobody will buy the commercial license and I hope QtCo ends up losing money instead.
    That way maybe their shortsighted management will learn something

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    By shifting the burden of maintaining the toolkit to the KDE team?
    Short of stopping work on Qt, how would they do that? And if the maintainer stops working on a project, that affects downstreams regardless, nothing Qt specific here.
    Maybe some lawsuits for good measure.
    I haven't heard of lawsuits around GPL code, save for using it not releasing the code. Which is not the case for KDE.
    They don't need to forcibly kick them out and slam the door. Microsoft has killed competitors indirectly since forever and it worked wonders for them.
    So basically you have no clue how, yet are still pretty sure using Qt is a bad idea. Kudos.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post

As I said, those parts are being removed or made into just a syntax wrapper. The parts that remain are significantly different from the standard library.
    That's good, but that didn't happen yet. And if there is way to avoid depending on Qt which is a massive dependency in general, then why not.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I know, but today we do have modern C++. So I'd avoid using Qt when they intersect. As above, in my opinion Qt is fine for a GUI toolkit, but not when it's used for libstdc++ replacement today which is what Roman pointed out in the past was one of the issues.
    As I said, those parts are being removed or made into just a syntax wrapper. The parts that remain are significantly different from the standard library.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I think I might have.
    It's been a matter of time for 24 years.
    Based on this I'm legitimately not very concerned.

PS: That doesn't mean ignoring some manager's bad ideas, but I'm not worried about Kde. At all
    PPS: This reminds me of the whole paranoia around .Net, Mono, and C#.
    Spoiler alert, Mono was not a trap, .Net Core is open source and will become the only .Net, and C# is awesome
    Seems you also ignored their most recent move of restricting GPL releases.

.NET and C# aimed to kill Java though, it never had anything to do with Linux specifically. It wouldn't do much harm anyway, as it became pretty much one more language in an already huge selection.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

How would Qt do that with the source code readily available and GPL licensed?
    By shifting the burden of maintaining the toolkit to the KDE team? Maybe some lawsuits for good measure.

They don't need to forcibly kick them out and slam the door. Microsoft has killed competitors indirectly since forever and it worked wonders for them.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Branched out? It is where it started! It is older than C++98
    I know, but today we do have modern C++. So I'd avoid using Qt when they intersect. As above, in my opinion Qt is fine for a GUI toolkit, but not when it's used for libstdc++ replacement today which is what Roman pointed out in the past was one of the issues.
    Last edited by shmerl; 28 September 2020, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied

Did you just ignore a legitimate concern to make a stupid, unfunny joke? Qt is very much in power to lock KDE out whenever they want. Might be just a matter of time.
    I think I might have.
    It's been a matter of time for 24 years.
    Based on this I'm legitimately not very concerned.

PS: That doesn't mean ignoring some manager's bad ideas, but I'm not worried about Kde. At all
    PPS: This reminds me of the whole paranoia around .Net, Mono, and C#.
    Spoiler alert, Mono was not a trap, .Net Core is open source and will become the only .Net, and C# is awesome

Leave a comment:

Working...
X