No announcement yet.

Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this Microsoft Edge for Linux is going to be closed source, I'm guessing I'm not going to be allowed to run it on my Raspberry Pi 4 like I do with Firefox, Chromium, etc.

I'm praying Microsoft Edge does not take over as a predominate web browser. We'll be right back in the bad old days of IE forcing everybody to use Windows just to pay their utility bill online.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

We can do better than that. I was on the team that brought back CDE in 2012. Try again.

CDE compiles fine for me on both Linux and BSD. Are you able to compile the Windows 2000 shell? How is proprietary software working out for you?
      Let's hear it for Motif!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        "And just like other platforms, we always appreciate feedback—it’s the best way to serve our customers."

The only feedback Microsoft gets these days is "turn off telemetry". These clowns have no interest in serving anyone, *especially* their customers.
        ^^^ Its going to be interesting to see their usage numbers compared to these people lol.

Although could probably do that already with Visual Studio Code or something. But that doesn't reach as many people as a browser does.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Over 98% of software is created to earn money and nothing else. Go cry in the corner, an open source idealist.
          Really?? From top ten super computers to ISS to Google and Facebook every which one of them using Linux so with your lame logic Linus Torvalds must be super rich, right??

Also, who the f-k makes you install or use Edge in the first place? Or you want Linux to remain an elitist platform only for open source software? Then why Phoronix readers love Steam/Proton/Wine so much? How many good triple-A game titles do you know? None? Maybe you know ways to make it happen? No? Then what the hell are you talking about?
          Video games doesn't collect your metadata and track every website you visit, and yes using Firefox with a couple of extensions including HTTPS and Privacy Badger which made by EFF is a good strategy.

I could bet $20K you won't be able to compile KDE2 in e.g. Fedora 32 without first installing an old version of GCC, downloading and compiling various libraries which are not part of Fedora any more but let's just say, you're full of shit, and you won't be able to demonstrate compiling KDE2 from its original sources. To be fair, even KDE3 doesn't compile without a ton of patches. So, please do me a favour and kindly fook off.
          He's talking about CDE which by the way update recently (2.3.2 / January 14, 2020) not KDE 2.

It's obvious that you are a Microsoft fanboy and it's totally okay but the thing I don't understand is what the hell are you doing here?? Go to SevenForums.

Comment

How do we save Linux from Microsoft? They're doing it again: assimilate and destroy. They did it with Silicon Graphics and they did it with Nokia. Now they're doing it with Linux. Is there a way to stop them?

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
              He's talking about CDE which by the way update recently (2.3.2 / January 14, 2020) not KDE 2.
              Oh, good point. Perhaps he doesn't know what CDE is so he just assumed I must have made a typo trying to spell "KDE"! I did think his later posts were kinda missing the point.

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
              It's obvious that you are a Microsoft fanboy and it's totally okay but the thing I don't understand is what the hell are you doing here?? Go to SevenForums.
              I know many Windows users are naive and computer illiterate but is it really fair to subject the SevenForums community to this guy? The best place for him in my opinion is offline. However I doubt his Windows will keep working offline for very long. The telemetry database will grow and clog up his hard disk for one. And if he replaces that HD, the DRM will kick in XD

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
              How do we save Linux from Microsoft? They're doing it again: assimilate and destroy. They did it with Silicon Graphics and they did it with Nokia. Now they're doing it with Linux. Is there a way to stop them?
              It is an inconvenience but try to think of it this way: Don't "love" the OS, "love" the design. People can (and will) kill Linux but they can never really destroy good ideas. When the shite hits the fan you can either migrate to other UNIX-like platforms like BSD or hopefully something new will come along also with a correct design. Perhaps RedoxOS or Genode? Who knows, if Linux regresses enough, perhaps GNU Hurd will be back in the running.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 22 September 2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I personally use Microsoft Edge Enterprise as a secondary browser (main browser is Firefox) on my (again) secondary hard drive running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (needed mainly for obscure hardware testing and flashing via equally obscure software, and assisting people who run Windows and have issues (like my family), and it works way better than Chromium (and people who I have installed it for them tell me that it works way better than Chrome), so I personally really want to try it out, since I prefer it to Vivaldi.

As for privacy, I generally neuter what I can of what I deem necessary to block (also on Firefox, I do not trust Mozilla very well in recent years).

And say what you may, however as bad as Microsoft are (and yes, they are certainly not to be trusted), nowadays they're nowhere near as evil as Google is now.
                Bryan Lunduke had summed it pretty well on his show.

Comment

I'm genuinely confused as to why Microsoft thought this was a good business move. I mean, I can't imagine anyone using it. A much better business move would have been porting Outlook to Linux or even licensing app extensions for good Exchange Office 365 mail support. It's nearly impossible to escape Exchange in the enterprise and it's a way they could make linux users pay for BYOD at work, even if they aren't even using Windows.

Comment

I wonder who in the Microsoft customers asked for a port of edge on Linux and what is their use case.
                    I believed the most valuable piece of software from MS was Visual Studio, so I would expect it to be ported first.

Comment

Can someone remind me what's in Edge that isn't already in Chromium?

Comment

Working...
                      X