Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Over 98% of software is created to earn money and nothing else. Go cry in the corner, an open source idealist.
    This is a Linux forum with Linux users. We use FOSS software for a number of reasons and privacy is one of them. To bring telemetry like that to the Linux ecosystem is antithesis to that ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      For the love of everything good and right, dear Microsoft, no one cares about your browser... it serves nothing better than to do the initial download of some other browser as soon as someone does a fresh install of windows.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        This is a Linux forum with Linux users. We use FOSS software for a number of reasons and privacy is one of them. To bring telemetry like that to the Linux ecosystem is antithesis to that ecosystem.
        Fully agree with this statement, though I personally am also happy to pay an appropriate amount of money for closed source software if it makes sense. I.e. I would buy a copy of MS Office if it was available on Linux. I am already purchasing linux software off Steam and love it!

Edge on the other hand makes no sense... even if it was GPL'ed for some reason I dont see any major up tick in market share for it.

Comment

There I was... having a terrible bad day... and here it comes MS to save the day with the comic relief.

Thanks MS!

Comment

skeevy420 LOL Yup, that is exactly what I was looking for

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Over 98% of software is created to earn money and nothing else. Go cry in the corner, an open source idealist.

Now on to a more serious note: I don't like that we have dozens of web browsers based on Chromium and basically none based on Mozilla Firefox/Servo/Gecko, whatever their current engine is.

From what I've heard the HTML standard nowadays is created by Google for Chrome.
              Is that a gaseous digestive emission I'm hearing?

Ah no it is birdie.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                For the love of everything good and right, dear Microsoft, no one cares about your browser... it serves nothing better than to do the initial download of some other browser as soon as someone does a fresh install of windows.

If anyone from Microsoft happens across this forum, please do something right and bring Office to Linux!! (hint office 365 web edition is a joke for real users... it doesnt count).

I want very badly to be able to buy (yes as in pay money) to run a native version of office on Ubuntu (heck I will even switch distros if its required).
                Not likely. No money in it.

Office:Mac is already a PITA to support relative to the Windows version, a Linux version would be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Office:Mac is already a PITA to support relative to the Windows version, a Linux version would be worse.
                  Perhaps, but the reality is key groups are leaving support for Apple (i.e. Nvidia) and more are heading towards Linux (i.e. Microsoft). Even if they used something like wine integrated into it and debugged by them (a.k.a. like Corel did all those years ago) I would take that!

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Actually they could wrap it with wine.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                      Wake me up when I can buy and use a fast modern PC which doesn't feature closed source components (UEFI, Intel ME and its AMD counterpart, NIC/SSD/HDD/GPU firmware, etc. etc. etc) some of which can and are used to spy on the user or limit their "freedom".

You're right this is a Linux forum. What you're damn wrong about is that this world was created for Open Source geeks who love to crown themselves with their "privacy" ideal every day. I'm sure as hell you are running a binary Linux distro, you haven't formally verified that what you're running doesn't spy on you or have backdoors, in short, you're full of shit.

Also, for some stupid reasons you believe companies like Microsoft don't care about their reputation and various laws which limit what they can do with your data. Let met tell you a secret: Microsoft products and operating systems are used by FBI, CIA, NSA and all governments of the world. If Microsoft had indeed siphoned the user data behind our backs, they would have long lost their clout and installations. Alas, nothing like that has happened.

Lastly, fully open source Mozilla Firefox does have telemetry and does collect your data. Stop using it right away or recompile it!

Oftentimes open source fans are shockingly illogical to the point of being outright stupid.

"We use FOSS for a number of reasons and privacy is not one of them".

FTFY. A "false feeling of privacy" - maybe. "A feeling of superiority?" Maybe. "Closed source software sucks because I don't like it" - most likely. Now show me your FOSS contributions, so that at least other people could see that you put your money where your mouth is.
                      Last edited by birdie; 22 September 2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X