Xfce 4.16pre1 Released As The First Step Towards This Next Desktop Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
    Give Antix a spin. It's pretty amazing what can be done with IceWM, all using ~180MB RAM post-boot.
    180 MB is about 10 times more of what I would like after considering compressibility of the data.

Nowadays with 1 MB of DRAM costing less than 1 cent, for example, nobody seems to care that rasterisation of a simple small SVG icon (using librsvg) requires about 10 MB of memory (code&data).

See also: https://jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm

Comment

Originally posted by topolinik View Post
      The same issue raises even WITH a title bar, when the devs decide that every titlebar (active/inactive) will be shown in white (I'm pointing at you, microsoft).
      No, it's not even close.

A titlebar color is easier to configure than other parameters of a theme.

If you change a property of a CSD theme, you can't be sure that a CSD application actually uses that property. You can experiment, but in the end one app will behave in one way, and some other app in another. It will turn into a total mess, very likely.

Changing the titlebar, especially the active window color, can be consistently enforced on apps by your desktop environment. Consistently enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
        Sin2x Why not just leave now? Do you really think any project wants users who take random fights against “gnomification” or come up with bogus claims about consistency? CSD is a major benefit to XFCE and losing a vocal minority is not a big deal.
        Are you an Xfce developer?

Comment

Sin2x No

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            It was a rhethorical question. I know that you are not a developer of Xfce or any other software for that matter. Therefore you have no right to claim what is a big deal for the Xfce and what is not.

As for my aesthetical preferences - Xfce serves them well as of now, so there is no need to switch. Time will tell if that remains so, just don't presume that public opinion doesn't influence what is going to happen in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
              Obviously CSD and Headerbar Designs are the future and there’s no turning back. Consistency comes from accepting this.
              I think someone said at Microsoft thought the same thing when they introduced the Metro UI.
              Guess they turned back after all. Well, after Windows 8 and a truckload of negative feedback.

Btw I don't really care about CSDs, because to the user are mostly an implementation detail, OTOH headerbars can be useful if used carefully, like MacOs and Windows do.

PS: Consistency comes from accepting this. This sentence makes no sense. At all.

Comment

Wow, darn it, 144Hz effectively turned the thread into a flamewar again....

2 pages of noise and counting .-.

Comment

I hope dual monitor features get some love:
                  • ability to pin an app to a specific screen
                  • ability to NOT mirror screens
                  at the moment using ARANDR scripts bound to keys in XFCE

Comment

Working...
                  X