Chrome 87 Dev Builds Trying Again With X11+Wayland Ozone Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    And when it's on par with X11 it will be faster than whatever Firefox version was released before.
    Thats not true for me today, i bet it won't be at that time. Even while no synthetic benchmark shows that: Just open some more tabs, and you'll see chrome dying painfully. Chrome is good, as long as you're no heavy multitasking user, but I am. After testing back and forth, firefox also seems to have better extensions. There are a lot for chrome, too, but I always think they're more colorful but lacking...

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
      Random thought: What if GNOME removes entire code X11 and keeps only Wayland in GNOME 4?
      Even if GNOME will drop X11 code and support only Wayland session it probably won't affect Xwayland. X11 applications will stay with us for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
        Random thought: What if GNOME removes entire code X11 and keeps only Wayland in GNOME 4?
        As long as they don't drop Xwayland, which they won't, I don't think it would be a great loss. GNOME Wayland is already mostly indistinguishable from X11 if you don't have an NVIDIA GPU, and if they keep the X11 session it'll be due to NVIDIA (assuming accelerated Xwayland with the proprietary drivers makes no progress at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Thats not true for me today, i bet it won't be at that time. Even while no synthetic benchmark shows that: Just open some more tabs, and you'll see chrome dying painfully. Chrome is good, as long as you're no heavy multitasking user, but I am. After testing back and forth, firefox also seems to have better extensions. There are a lot for chrome, too, but I always think they're more colorful but lacking...
          I use one of the Chrome skins (Vivaldi) and I constantly have at least 30 tabs open with no slowdowns. Firefox can do the same but uses twice as much RAM, and slows down while switching tabs. It gets worse if you compare GPU accelerated content (WebGL, video decoding).

Comment

I use one of the Chrome skins (Vivaldi) and I constantly have at least 30 tabs open with no slowdowns. Firefox can do the same but uses twice as much RAM, and slows down while switching tabs. It gets worse if you compare GPU accelerated content (WebGL, video decoding).
            Can not reproduce that, multiple windows with a lot of tabs open, no slowdown on video or opengl either. The only slowdown I can experience is on infinite scroll web apps like reddit when you scrolled really far down but thats a small price to pay for the superior configurability, functionality, stability as well as the support for new technology without ignoring the web standards.

Comment

30 tabs isn't that much, my number is well... bigger. I also can't reproduce firefox getting slow or consuming more RAM, for me thats always chrome doing that. Also no problems with video, but I don't have any opinion on webgl, I'm not a user of anything using that tooling.

Comment

Have been in the Firefox camp from the beginning. Made a script to remove Debian ESR package and install the latest stable Firefox. Same goes for Thunderbird and both update automatically.

Comment

I am currently at 1663 tabs in Firefox (don't ask) and it doesn't bother (ram usage 1261 MB, RES). Can't go over some tenths on Chrome without having to kill tabs and restart it (tabs shrink and become unusable btw). Anyway, Firefox definitely is not that memory hungry

Comment

Originally posted by riquito View Post

I am currently at 1663 tabs in Firefox (don't ask) and it doesn't bother (ram usage 1261 MB, RES). Can't go over some tenths on Chrome without having to kill tabs and restart it (tabs shrink and become unusable btw). Anyway, Firefox definitely is not that memory hungry
                    LOL, you've got me beat. Only 1503 tabs open here.

Comment

Working...
                    X