Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 87 Dev Builds Trying Again With X11+Wayland Ozone Enabled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chrome 87 Dev Builds Trying Again With X11+Wayland Ozone Enabled

    Phoronix: Chrome 87 Dev Builds Trying Again With X11+Wayland Ozone Enabled

    While Chrome 86 entered beta with many features, Chrome 87 in development has re-enabled the Wayland+X11 Ozone support as another attempt at improving the Wayland support experience off the single binary...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...zone-Try-Again

  • #2
    You can try the latest chromium dev builds on www.anonvdi.ca, use the ubuntu web and/or media image, they are updated weekly.

    They use xfce, so no wayland, but still fun to try some of the new features without having to install yourself. Also it's not mobile optimized so be sure to use desktop/laptop
    Last edited by scratchi; 05 September 2020, 01:42 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just in case it's not clear from the article: Xorg is the default still, but soon you'll be able to try out Wayland support using certain command line flags.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post
        Just in case it's not clear from the article: Xorg is the default still, but soon you'll be able to try out Wayland support using certain command line flags.
        So 2-3 more years until enabled by default and on par with X11.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cl333r View Post

          So 2-3 more years until enabled by default and on par with X11.
          And when it's on par with X11 it will be faster than whatever Firefox version was released before.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by angrypie View Post

            And when it's on par with X11 it will be faster than whatever Firefox version was released before.
            Ah, maybe ... but it won't have Firefox's Containers, which I find to be a killer feature: much more convenient and resource light than Chromium's profiles. Plus, if you are correct about the two year delay, Firefox will two years of mature Wayland support under its belt by then. Firefox on Fedora, where it defaults to the Wayland backend, is a revelation. I'm back in team Firefox, as you can tell.

            Comment


            • #7
              Random thought: What if GNOME removes entire code X11 and keeps only Wayland in GNOME 4?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                Ah, maybe ... but it won't have Firefox's Containers, which I find to be a killer feature: much more convenient and resource light than Chromium's profiles.
                Yeah, that's definitely a killer feature for Firefox at the moment... I rely very heavily on it at work, since being able to have isolated tabs makes it much easier to access multiple testing environments on the same host... without it, they're stepping all over each other's session cookies. And of course, it's nice for privacy if you can isolate certain sites... e.g. Facebook / Google trackers on other random sites can't see my Facebook / Google logins...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post
                  Just in case it's not clear from the article: Xorg is the default still, but soon you'll be able to try out Wayland support using certain command line flags.
                  Downloaded google chromium snapshots.
                  Run.
                  Code:
                  ./chrome --ozone-platform=wayland --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --user-data-dir=/tmp/chrome-wayland
                  And it works.

                  No delight.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just fix X11 Ozone already.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X