Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zrythm Approaching Beta As An Easy-To-Use, Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zrythm Approaching Beta As An Easy-To-Use, Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Phoronix: Zrythm Approaching Beta As An Easy-To-Use, Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

When it comes to open-source audio software, the Ardour digital audio workstation and Audacity audio editor are the two flagship offerings. But Zrythm continues advancing as another promising open-source digital audio workstation project. Zrythm is currently in a late alpha stage with its newest release this weekend but a beta appears to be on the horizon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More gtk3 software is always welcome. This one looks very promising!

Comment

Wow, this looks pretty distinct for being a GTK application. I didn't know it was possible to make GTK applications look like this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Wow, this looks pretty distinct for being a GTK application. I didn't know it was possible to make GTK applications look like this.
        Usually GTK heavily promotes that applications should use as plain widgets as possible so users have the choice to use their stylesheet and applications look right on their desktop. But there is nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want and completely redefine how the application and its widgets should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Audacity uses GTK3 but looks nothing like a GTK3 application as well.

Comment

This is something I may have to look into. However I hate to say this but the entire Linux audio stack is barely beta quality.The funny thing is just last night I tried to get both Audacity and Ardour to work on my system. Both of them would not output sound but would record OK. Audacity itself would crash often. When I say stack here it is a question of something (Pulse Audio, Jack, driver or whatever) creating the output issue from what I can see so far. Even last nights experience i just a small part of the audio issues one runs into with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

The usual build of Audacity is still to build to GTK2 adding to the oddities. https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=109997

Comment

Wow, that looks like a lot of effort for an unheard-of DAW.
                I should look into it... but yeah uid

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  This is something I may have to look into. However I hate to say this but the entire Linux audio stack is barely beta quality.
                  There is absolutly nothing wrong with the Linux audio stack. I produce multi channel recordings with it on a regular basis. Some of the apps might have issues. If you have a video card that supports cuda/openCL you could try installing the free version of Davinci Resolve and then just use the Fairlight tab to do audio. If I was going to do a pure audio project that is what I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

This could be because Audacity is wxWidgets (with Gtk2 or 3 as the backend). You can tell using ctrl-alt-middle_click to bring up a wxWidgets version dialog.

Comment

Working...
                    X