Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zrythm Approaching Beta As An Easy-To-Use, Open-Source Digital Audio Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
    1. See the post on Phoronix about a DAW
    2. Open comments to see if people would discuss music-making workflows etc. for once
    3. Noppity-nope, same ole same ole. Toolkits, GTK, the whole circus

It would, indeed, be great if the post had more info about the project (hint to Michael: there's a thread in Zrythm's forum on reasons this project exists). Maybe that would shape the conversation differently.
    Hi Alex. Have you covered zrythm on LGW? I was also looking for a value proposition that makes it any different than Ardour, but didn't find anything. Could you link to said forum post?

Off topic: Since I'm talking to you, I guess I should tell you that the version of TLS in LGW is deprecated and is being removed from all browsers and already disabled by default. That, plus the self-signed cert, makes the site quite hard to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Lucas View Post
      I mean, does it offer something not found in Ardour? Ardour6 is working pretty solidly for me on Ubuntu Studio. It isn't hideous and busy like the screenshot of this newcomer UI. I don't see a value proposition to move me in any way. Already works with Jack. Already works with VSTs, linux plugins, etc. Learning a DAW is an investment in time and effort, even if it is free. Where is the value proposition? What am I being offered?
      By the looks of it, I would say Zrythm is more midi-oriented than Ardour (just a supposition looking at their webpage, I didn't actually try this software).

Comment

I mean, does it offer something not found in Ardour? Ardour6 is working pretty solidly for me on Ubuntu Studio.
        If you don't do electronic music (think EDM, drone etc.) or don't use MIDI extensively, you don't have to even bother.

However, if you do, it's a good idea to watch this project. Not use immediately (you wouldn't be able to, it's just too unstable right now), mind you, but maybe keep a keen eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
          Hi Alex. Have you covered zrythm on LGW? I was also looking for a value proposition that makes it any different than Ardour, but didn't find anything.
          Not yet, but I guess I'll have to — despite some problems with it

I've been watching this project for 1.5+ years now. It's... How do I put it right... Both exciting and problematic. It doesn't have some MIDI workflow issues that I have with Ardour, it's fresh and new and seems to have a lot of potential. It has a lot of Olive vibe for me. But it's also unstable as hell, and it's always been that way. I appreciate that it tries to recover a project after a crash (just like any other software for creatives should) but right now it's just too much for me.

Could you link to said forum post?
          Sure, it's here: https://forum.zrythm.org/t/history-of-zrythm/23

Off topic: Since I'm talking to you, I guess I should tell you that the version of TLS in LGW is deprecated and is being removed from all browsers and already disabled by default. That, plus the self-signed cert, makes the site quite hard to reach.
          It doesn't have a self-signed certificate. It's all HTTP. Not HTTPS I think my hosting company is trying to place some sort of a certificate when you force https:// on the domain, but I don't think I have any control over that. There is a new website in the works, for quite a long while now. It's a different domain name and HTTPS from ground up. I could probably go with Let's Encrypt on the old website but I just never have the patience to dig deeper. Family, work, and making new content always win the battle over my attention

Comment

No, I would not "want the project dead". Seriously, guy. It's like you don't see or hear other people, only the projections onto them from your mind. Enough.

You know what, I changed my opinion.
            This is garbage.

It offers no benefits over Ardour, and instead has the SJW-backed Contributor Covenant with a "nice UI" as a disguise. Ughhhhh

I have not built it yet, but I am sure it will crash as soon as I begin using it for a real project.

Comment

Working...
            X