Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 RC1 Is Out For Testing This Skia+Vulkan Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But can it run Crysis now?

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post

How diffable are automatically regenerated xml dumps? Can you really use them in a meaningful way to do change control? My last experiments with MS Office XML a few years back were pretty disappointing, but I'd be interested in your experiences with Libreoffice maybe even in a QMS environment ;-)
      It works quite well.
      Sure you have changes in the metadata area, like number of words, timestamps, etc., changes with styles if you did something there but overall text is just text and you can quite clearly find all your changes in the document.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        When I install open source software I expect to install only open source software, not also closed source.
        Good luck with that on Windows applications. How many opensource windows applications ship or require closed source components and do this behind your back?
        Oh my sweet summer child.
        I only expect them to be open why their software would not work on a clean untouched Windows 7 SP1 installation, what libraries it needs and which updates it wants to install so I can have a chance to search more info about them, like if they contain spyware or other unwanted stuff.
        As you saw it says so in the installer (although it is too fast) but it is also stated in their wiki, and can be reached by googling "libreoffice install kb update" https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...ssues_(Windows) At the same link you can see (at the bottom) how to create a logged installation so it will write down all it is doing in a nice log too.

Starting from LibreOffice 6.1, the MSI installs KB2999226 using Windows Update service. This requires that Windows Update is not disabled during the installation. Starting with versions 6.2 and 6.1.5, installer does not require Windows Update when running on Windows 10 (tdf#122134). Please note that installer attempts to install the update regardless of the presence of the update on the system, to workaround and fix some cases of previous invalid installation of the component (tdf#119910), so Windows Update is the hard requirement even if you already have the update applied on your system. Starting from 6.3, failure installing the update will not fail LibreOffice installation, so e.g. stopping Windows Update service while installer is waiting for the update will just show a warning and continue.

It seems to be an update to shared libraries and stuff (surprise muthafucka), "it's called universal C runtime" and it is a thing that allows applications compiled for Windows 10 to run on older Windows versions as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ime-in-windows

See, no need to call the manager.
        I just want to be informed and I don't think that's too much to ask for a open source office suite.
        Quite frankly, unless you can validate all code in the installer to be the same as the source and not come from random places, you are just being a Karen, singling out one thing because it scares you while there are hundreds of others still there.
        You either trust LO foundation to not do evil or you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          Danny3 thank god windows 7 is open source and you can research everything about it.
          shhh, don't tell him! It's a secret

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yeah.

What matters is the heart. Not the body. :l
            this is propaganda written by ugly girls and I reject it

Not everyone needs to be a sex bomb but you need some level of decency in the body too, men/women/attack helicopters.

Comment

When I install open source software I expect to install only open source software, not also closed source.
              I only expect them to be open why their software would not work on a clean untouched Windows 7 SP1 installation, what libraries it needs and which updates it wants to install so I can have a chance to search more info about them, like if they contain spyware or other unwanted stuff.
              There were non-spyware patching in the past, but ever since Windows 10 cam out, Microsoft has pushed dozens of updates with spyware inside.
              I just want to be informed and I don't think that's too much to ask for a open source office suite.
              Why you would run a clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1 defies explanation.

Your concern about M$ spyware is reasonable, but why you choose to run a clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1 defies explanation.

I can't count how many updates M$ has issued since they had a "clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1", but it has been many in the US-EN code. As for how many of those have actual M$-sponsored spyware, that's about 2 or 3 dozen in my estimate; my actual list is elsewhere right now.

As for how many patch updates M$ has released since there was a "clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1", and in your opinion also have spyware, well, don't leave us all in suspense. Tell us all what you think, and be specific.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                Am I the only person wiht copy paste issues in Libreoffice?

Besides I have tried OnlyOffice - this one is really lean. and at the moment I prefer it over Libre office. Seems to be bloated and has some issues. Just not smooth yet.
                No issues with copy & paste.

I find LO has issues with footnotes, both "bottom of page" and "end of document" styles. When I run the spellchecker it would disturb-disrupt-destroy some footnote references. Since the work document contains proprietary info I cannot submit it to LO to see if they encounter the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Why you would run a clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1 defies explanation.

Your concern about M$ spyware is reasonable, but why you choose to run a clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1 defies explanation.

I can't count how many updates M$ has issued since they had a "clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1", but it has been many in the US-EN code. As for how many of those have actual M$-sponsored spyware, that's about 2 or 3 dozen in my estimate; my actual list is elsewhere right now.

As for how many patch updates M$ has released since there was a "clean untouched version of Windows 7 SP1", and in your opinion also have spyware, well, don't leave us all in suspense. Tell us all what you think, and be specific.
                  Because I don't trust other people's modifications.
                  There are a few versions out there that come with hundreds of updates and modifications, but I don't want to start from those.
                  I want to start from scratch, from the original Windows 7 with SP1 and then apply manually just a few updates like for spectre, meltdown, platform update and that's it.
                  Hopefully those don't have spyware.
                  I don't want a ton of updates to fix things I didn't see broken and potentially introduce a lot of spyware.

Comment

Softmaker Office is so good now there's really no need to have to run MS Office in a vm or on wine any longer.

Comment

Because I don't trust other people's modifications.
                      Updates aren't third party modifications in any sense of the word. If you trust enough the company to use the OS you trust the updates.
                      Hopefully those don't have spyware.
                      Yes, because any evil update is going to be clearly labeled as such, and not be bundled or even renamed, or even come through a secondary way that isn't MS update
                      I don't want a ton of updates to fix things I didn't see broken and potentially introduce a lot of spyware.
                      Why the fuck aren't you using Linux instead of a half-unpatched (i.e. vulnerable) OS that is also EOL?

You really are insane.

Comment

Working...
                      X