Two Areas KDE Can Use Help Right Now In Porting For Plasma 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

There aren't... Debian family of distros is oriented stability and low maintenance. ArchLinux for minimalist bleeding edge. Gentoo for customized performance setups. And, there are some usb stick oriented ones... However, I fail to categorise Fedora .
    Alpha testing RHEL

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
      My impression (again): there are too many distros
      There are exactly as many distros as people use. When a distro's usage nosedives (or maintainers can't maintain it properly anymore), the distro goes away.
      Originally posted by sverris View Post
      / desktop environments...
      Actually, desktop environments we don't have enough. Because they're too hard to develop and maintain. It's the main reason I like KDE better than Gnome: when choice is limited, I'll take the more configurable approach, it's more likely to suit my needs.

Comment

In 30 years. The KDE project announce a finished product version vs starting fresh and never completing anything.

It could happen!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Why pay for a CLAed product that doesn’t even prioritize Linux?
          Because it's better than GNOME

Comment

Because Linux isn't going to attract desktop developers with its sizeable market share.
            Cross platform tools on the other hand go a really long way!

Comment

Because then they could remove the CLA, as I FREAKING stated BEFORE!!!!!!

Wow I can't believe how terrible you are to get your propaganda right -_-
              Last edited by tildearrow; 25 June 2020, 07:15 PM. Reason: tone down

Comment

tildearrow Please apply some common sense. Buying a CLAed project just to remove the CLA would be a terrible way to spend money.
                Why so?!

Comment

tildearrow Waste. Of. Shareholders’. Money.
                  That. Would. Later. Be. Recovered. By. Toolkit. Sales.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                    In 30 years. The KDE project announce a finished product version vs starting fresh and never completing anything.

It could happen!
                    It will never happen. KDE is a tech demo for Qt. It follows Qt editions closely and only cares about showcasing its capabilities. KDE as a product itself is of no importance, all that matters is that it looks flashy and capable to entice other devs to use Qt for their projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                      I am already afraid by all the breakage & functionality loss Plasma 6 will bring.
                      I can't help but to think KDE lacks capable core developers - Plasma 5 is still full of small glitches and problems, and bug reports sometimes stay open for a long long time. On the other side the lets-rewrite-the-whole-thing-again group seems to strike again.
                      It does.. All the old core developers are now often both married and seniors managers in large commercial projects, not having much time left to tinker, and while there are plenty of new people in KDE, they often prefer to work on applications and not the core.

And both KDE4 and KDE5 made the mistake of changing too much at once. KDE3 was much smoother.

KDE5 seems pretty good at this moment though. The cleanups did help with a lot of the legacy code, even if it took a while to stabilize.
                      Last edited by carewolf; 26 June 2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X