No announcement yet.

Two Areas KDE Can Use Help Right Now In Porting For Plasma 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skeevy420 KDE on Fedora is the biggest joke ever. The SIG is not even trying.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      skeevy420 KDE on Fedora is the biggest joke ever. The SIG is not even trying.
      I wasn't talking about KDE on Fedora. They're just two examples since both of their trackers have plenty of unfollowed-through bug reports; some where the bug was fixed but the person who reported the bug never confirmed it was fixed for them so the bug stayed open which is why Fedora is considering just dropping the bug if the submitter doesn't respond after a while (I don't remember the exact details of their plan).

Comment

Meanwhile Gnome should have put out a call for help in designing a useable desktop ten years ago.

Comment

New and shiny stuff instead of fixing Plasma5 and Freeing Qt5..
          ^ whining... again. ^

Comment

New and shiny stuff instead of fixing Plasma5 and Freeing Qt5..
            Die, troll! Die!

1. The "new and shiny" stuff may replace deprecated/broken code. WTF do you think your precious GTK4 is doing?
            2. KDE does not control Qt. You're going off-topic or out on a tangent to support your trolling narrative (as usual). There was a rumor that Qt may restrict new releases to paying customers back when coronavirus broke out. That didn't happen. Even at the time of the rumor, forking was the "if all else fails" option.

Comment

New and shiny stuff instead of...
              In case anybody else is posting on this forum without reading the article: the call for help is about finishing the porting of some code leftover from the KDE4 era. No new shiny stuff, not even user-visible features, just some quality assurance work, paying technical debt, making the code simpler and programs leaner.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Meanwhile Gnome should have put out a call for help in designing a useable desktop ten years ago.
                GNOME 3 since version 3.18 is the MOST PRODUCTIVE DE out there. Haven't had a single day, when GNOME would stood in my way to do the productive work... It just didn't disappoint me.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  I am already afraid by all the breakage & functionality loss Plasma 6 will bring.
                  I can't help but to think KDE lacks capable core developers - Plasma 5 is still full of small glitches and problems, and bug reports sometimes stay open for a long long time. On the other side the lets-rewrite-the-whole-thing-again group seems to strike again.
                  Where did you get the "rewrite everything" vibe? This looks more like code cleanup+aligning with Qt6.
                  Last edited by bug77; 06-25-2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

GNOME 3 since version 3.18 is the MOST PRODUCTIVE DE out there. Haven't had a single day, when GNOME would stood in my way to do the productive work... It just didn't disappoint me.
                    Installed Gnome. Wasn't productive. So I disagree.

Comment

Assuming there are the basic things you can be productive with any system and desktop environment.
                      I seriously doubt anyone saying that they can't be productive on Windows and Mac because of the desktop.
                      To me Gnome is awfully user hostile.
                      IMHO its UX is abysmal, but the worst thing is its team's attitude towards user feedback.
                      That behaviour would be unacceptable anywhere else.
                      They got away with it only because nobody really cares about the desktop on Linux.
                      I could go on for hours ranting about Gnome, Red Hat, Canonical, but I would never even doubt that if I had to use Gnome as my main desktop I'd get used to it, adapt, and ultimately be productive.
                      Just as any other desktop environment, because in the end its the software that matters and most of the times it's not desktop related.

Comment

Working...
                      X