X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mos87
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    I'm using plain Gnome 3, but for newcomers I'm installing it for I always bring back bottom panel and sometimes classic menu.
    now if there was a testament to the veracity of gnome's purported user friendliness...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    Imagine if instead of spending so much time, energy and effort into getting gnome to become barely usable, the effort instead went into improving KDE.
    The linux desktop experience today would be 100 times better than it is currently. G*ome is the worst thing to have ever happened to the Linux Desktop and the linux community.
    Yeah! Like why couldn't they do some effort to buy the Qt company and own/open-source the toolkit forever?

It would have been a big investment, but one that would have brought a better future (since Qt is already trusted by major companies, while GTK gets no support).

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by bison View Post
    Speaking for myself, I don't hate it, I just intensely dislike it.

Gnome Shell tries to turn a 24-inch monitor into a giant phone. I don't want my desktop to be a phone -- I want it to be... a desktop.
    Gnome Classic is not an option for you? I'm using plain Gnome 3, but for newcomers I'm installing it for I always bring back bottom panel and sometimes classic menu.

Leave a comment:

• nabero
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    Imagine if instead of spending so much time, energy and effort into getting gnome to become barely usable, the effort instead went into improving KDE.
    The linux desktop experience today would be 100 times better than it is currently. G*ome is the worst thing to have ever happened to the Linux Desktop and the linux community.
    Unfortunately, putting more developers on KDE won't make it a better DE. At least we have a usable one, no need for more.

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    Originally posted by bison View Post

Gnome Shell tries to turn a 24-inch monitor into a giant phone. I don't want my desktop to be a phone -- I want it to be... a desktop.

Luddite!

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverFox
    I don't see why people still get on the 'hate gnome' bandwagon these days

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverFox
    Out of interest though whats the Gorilla?
    Probably a reference to BonziBuddy.

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    10 years of unusablity unergonomicness uselessness and performance compatability and feature wise losing out to "ancient" system(s)
    but at least its all done with conpositing in mind from the get go, uses javascript, and carries control elements in the most unexpected places! And punishes the user for actually trying to, well, use it.
    ah yes its possibly geared for touchscreens, but alas (?) we'll never know for sure (not in the forseeable future). So in the opinion of backers from RH let them (try) use it on desktops meanwhile...
    The conspirologist in me thinks that it (further fracturing the historically difficult free desktop scene) could've been done on purpose, since the desktop market is not really for RH... But for some of their "partners" instead..
    Last edited by mos87; 22 June 2020, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• prueba_hola
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    So many years with the worst user interface...

I hope GNOME4 stops using this android/mac interface and moves to something more usable.
    +1

i really loved the days on GNOME 2 but GNOME 3.... is terrible

Leave a comment:

Working...
X