X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by Zico View Post

" Go To Sleep " isn't the same as a screensaver e.g. Scripts don't stop. Aesthetics are also important for me and many of my friends. ScreenSaver is desirable on my 4 displays. Under Windows, I can download such a program (because it isn't default), but everything is missing on Wayland. I think that in Gnome such an add-on perfectly composed for aesthetes.
    iv'e had nothing but trouble with screensavers so i dont use them no more. mostl;y when a screensaver kicks in are you actually at the computer ? More than likely not, by having a computer go to sleep, i would of though your saving power , , screensavers are so 19th century.

Leave a comment:

• Zico
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    screemsavers are Dead. even Microsoft dont put much if any effort into them anymore., its just easier to tell the systrem to " Go To Sleep " rather than bothing implementing screensavers that can cause problems
    " Go To Sleep " isn't the same as a screensaver e.g. Scripts don't stop. Aesthetics are also important for me and many of my friends. ScreenSaver is desirable on my 4 displays. Under Windows, I can download such a program (because it isn't default), but everything is missing on Wayland. I think that in Gnome such an add-on perfectly composed for aesthetes.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by Zico View Post
    10 years, o'rly!? I'm old.. 10y and Gnome (Wayland) still doesn't have Screensaver and Live Wallpaper by default
    screemsavers are Dead. even Microsoft dont put much if any effort into them anymore., its just easier to tell the systrem to " Go To Sleep " rather than bothing implementing screensavers that can cause problems

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I think the main reason the distributors favour Gnome is because it has RedHat behind it, which lends it an air of support from what is a major player in the Linux industry.

SuSE like(s/d) KDE, but SuSE never really made it big outside of Europe - or, rather, the only people I've met which use it regularly hail from there.

And Ubuntu is still (relatively) new; ten years younger than RedHat.

If RedHat turned around and started pushing OpenRC and KDE (which used to be the default desktop many, many moons ago!) or XFCE, I think you'd see a similar shift from vendors to those.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    10 years to be half usable with 17 extensions...

By Ubuntu 14.04, Canonical was already ahead with Unity of what Gnome is 6 years later.

After 6 years of Gnome 2, then 6 of Unity, I've been struggling to get anything out of Gnome Shell for the last 3 years... It's such a huge disappointment. A lot of potential completely screwed by heads buried in the sand.
    So much so that I'm writing from Budgie, I've been using it alternatively with Gnome in the last month. Much more customizable to say the least. You don't feel trapped the way you are in Gnome. I'm starting to feel again the true power of GTK. Hopefully they complete their move away from Mutter by Budgie 11.
    The massive tradeoff on Unity was all change were specific for Ubuntu outsidde the original libraries. Majority of distributions gave up porting because it was a nightmare code wise.
    Mutter still needs re-factoring to fully take advantage of the new GTK engine considering the remaining codes from the X server era to fully use Wayland libraries which is time consuming. The team behind Budgie would need to actively participate to the effort rather than keeping fragmenting the desktop environment for another decades.

Complaining here in this forum is counter-productive as you could use your time contributing to the project.

Leave a comment:

• misGnomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    And all those people liking Gnome3 the way it is are eating popcorn now, like me
    Just go easy on salt and choose the right oil. Maybe try some Indian recipes as well. The chaat masala popcorn I've had in cinemas there was awesome and it's simple to recreate at home too.

Now, Gnome 3.x is somewhat more usable today than what was rolled out to replace the tried and tested workflow of 2.x a decade ago, that is true. Back then it was a disaster though, and the manner in which the vast majority of Gnome users were left in a lurch wasn't exactly ideal. They really just pulled the plug and the anchor and that was it.

I'm quite happy that they're finally making something out of it and for touchscreen devices it might even be fairly decent choice now. I'm just not going to celebrate their actions ten years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    10 years to be half usable with 17 extensions...

By Ubuntu 14.04, Canonical was already ahead with Unity of what Gnome is 6 years later.

After 6 years of Gnome 2, then 6 of Unity, I've been struggling to get anything out of Gnome Shell for the last 3 years... It's such a huge disappointment. A lot of potential completely screwed by heads buried in the sand.
    So much so that I'm writing from Budgie, I've been using it alternatively with Gnome in the last month. Much more customizable to say the least. You don't feel trapped the way you are in Gnome. I'm starting to feel again the true power of GTK. Hopefully they complete their move away from Mutter by Budgie 11.

Leave a comment:

• browseria
    replied
    Didn't see a comment section on the blog post, but I would love to see them incorporate some of the ideas like the App Library from iOS14 or the "Search Anywhere" feature into Gnome...it seems it would be a natural evolution.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    And all those people liking Gnome3 the way it is are eating popcorn now, like me

Leave a comment:

• Zico
    replied
    10 years, o'rly!? I'm old.. 10y and Gnome (Wayland) still doesn't have Screensaver and Live Wallpaper by default

Leave a comment:

Working...
X