GNOME Shell Continues Eyeing Improvements As It Approaches 10 Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    And all those people liking Gnome3 the way it is are eating popcorn now, like me
    Just go easy on salt and choose the right oil. Maybe try some Indian recipes as well. The chaat masala popcorn I've had in cinemas there was awesome and it's simple to recreate at home too.

Now, Gnome 3.x is somewhat more usable today than what was rolled out to replace the tried and tested workflow of 2.x a decade ago, that is true. Back then it was a disaster though, and the manner in which the vast majority of Gnome users were left in a lurch wasn't exactly ideal. They really just pulled the plug and the anchor and that was it.

I'm quite happy that they're finally making something out of it and for touchscreen devices it might even be fairly decent choice now. I'm just not going to celebrate their actions ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      10 years to be half usable with 17 extensions...

By Ubuntu 14.04, Canonical was already ahead with Unity of what Gnome is 6 years later.

After 6 years of Gnome 2, then 6 of Unity, I've been struggling to get anything out of Gnome Shell for the last 3 years... It's such a huge disappointment. A lot of potential completely screwed by heads buried in the sand.
      So much so that I'm writing from Budgie, I've been using it alternatively with Gnome in the last month. Much more customizable to say the least. You don't feel trapped the way you are in Gnome. I'm starting to feel again the true power of GTK. Hopefully they complete their move away from Mutter by Budgie 11.
      The massive tradeoff on Unity was all change were specific for Ubuntu outsidde the original libraries. Majority of distributions gave up porting because it was a nightmare code wise.
      Mutter still needs re-factoring to fully take advantage of the new GTK engine considering the remaining codes from the X server era to fully use Wayland libraries which is time consuming. The team behind Budgie would need to actively participate to the effort rather than keeping fragmenting the desktop environment for another decades.

Complaining here in this forum is counter-productive as you could use your time contributing to the project.

Comment

I think the main reason the distributors favour Gnome is because it has RedHat behind it, which lends it an air of support from what is a major player in the Linux industry.

SuSE like(s/d) KDE, but SuSE never really made it big outside of Europe - or, rather, the only people I've met which use it regularly hail from there.

And Ubuntu is still (relatively) new; ten years younger than RedHat.

If RedHat turned around and started pushing OpenRC and KDE (which used to be the default desktop many, many moons ago!) or XFCE, I think you'd see a similar shift from vendors to those.

Comment

Originally posted by Zico View Post
          10 years, o'rly!? I'm old.. 10y and Gnome (Wayland) still doesn't have Screensaver and Live Wallpaper by default
          screemsavers are Dead. even Microsoft dont put much if any effort into them anymore., its just easier to tell the systrem to " Go To Sleep " rather than bothing implementing screensavers that can cause problems

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            screemsavers are Dead. even Microsoft dont put much if any effort into them anymore., its just easier to tell the systrem to " Go To Sleep " rather than bothing implementing screensavers that can cause problems
            " Go To Sleep " isn't the same as a screensaver e.g. Scripts don't stop. Aesthetics are also important for me and many of my friends. ScreenSaver is desirable on my 4 displays. Under Windows, I can download such a program (because it isn't default), but everything is missing on Wayland. I think that in Gnome such an add-on perfectly composed for aesthetes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zico View Post

" Go To Sleep " isn't the same as a screensaver e.g. Scripts don't stop. Aesthetics are also important for me and many of my friends. ScreenSaver is desirable on my 4 displays. Under Windows, I can download such a program (because it isn't default), but everything is missing on Wayland. I think that in Gnome such an add-on perfectly composed for aesthetes.
              iv'e had nothing but trouble with screensavers so i dont use them no more. mostl;y when a screensaver kicks in are you actually at the computer ? More than likely not, by having a computer go to sleep, i would of though your saving power , , screensavers are so 19th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                I think the main reason the distributors favour Gnome is because it has RedHat behind it, which lends it an air of support from what is a major player in the Linux industry.
                SuSE like(s/d) KDE, but SuSE never really made it big outside of Europe - or, rather, the only people I've met which use it regularly hail from there.
                SuSE uses GNOME in their enterprise distributions along Canonical and Oracle. GNOME is currently the only major open source desktop environment leading the way to fully integrate Wayland protocol in addition touchscreen and stylus support. For those reasons, focusing on one major desktop environment is the top priority whether you like it or not.

KDE as desktop environment lacks focus when it comes to deal core libraries and got many changes it is hard to follow due to its inconsistency.

If RedHat turned around and started pushing OpenRC and KDE (which used to be the default desktop many, many moons ago!) or XFCE, I think you'd see a similar shift from vendors to those.
                Red Hat will stay with systemd, de facto the system manager designed for Linux kernel as it should be for decades until a better system manager will come. OpenRC simply failed the criteria the debate was already over long time ago. Honestly, GNOME represents Linux as operating system distinctive enough from other desktop environment leading the major change of remove the legacy Xorg server. Some both KDE and XFCE agreed on those points.

Comment

GNOME is awesome. All we need right now is for Wayland to mature some more and for GTK4 to support proper hardware accelerating like Vulkan. Then we are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    SuSE uses GNOME in their enterprise distributions along Canonical and Oracle. GNOME is currently the only major open source desktop environment leading the way to fully integrate Wayland protocol in addition touchscreen and stylus support. For those reasons, focusing on one major desktop environment is the top priority whether you like it or not.

KDE as desktop environment lacks focus when it comes to deal core libraries and got many changes it is hard to follow due to its inconsistency.

Red Hat will stay with systemd, de facto the system manager designed for Linux kernel as it should be for decades until a better system manager will come. OpenRC simply failed the criteria the debate was already over long time ago. Honestly, GNOME represents Linux as operating system distinctive enough from other desktop environment leading the major change of remove the legacy Xorg server. Some both KDE and XFCE agreed on those points.
                    Yeah, let's be free to like, use, and focus on just what's supported by Red Hat.
                    It may be open source, but to the end user is just as closed as Windows or MacOS.
                    Except that Windows could be more easily customizable than Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                      Gnome Classic is not an option for you?
                      I could use it if I had to, but there's no compelling reason to use it. I'm currently using Xfce. If that were not available, I'd probably go back to MATE.

Comment

Working...
                      X