Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell Continues Eyeing Improvements As It Approaches 10 Years Old

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    tildearrow Why pay for “the right to relicense” when such an asset is zero value to proper Open Source businesses? It might have made sense for Canonical in their bad period but not today.

    Comment


    • #22
      I'm very late to the party, but I'm finally getting into tiling and stacking window managers. Can't imagine ever being satisfied with a DE like Gnome in the future.

      Comment


      • #23
        I am a KDE plasma user these days, but I was probably one of a handful of people who liked Unity.
        At first I hated Unity because it was forced upon us when we weren't ready for it.
        They should have released it along side the "classic" desktop for a few years.
        It is really a pity Canonical "Abandoned" Unity.

        Comment


        • #24
          I hope a lot more performance improvements land by 3.38, and maybe eventually have input be a separate thread. While I don't have a strong opinion on the aesthetics of gnome, I really don't like choppy animations or input hiccups.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            So many years with the worst user interface...

            I hope GNOME4 stops using this android/mac interface and moves to something more usable.
            The reason macOS, Android, and iOS use that style of interface is because it is modern and *most* people find it more usable. More OS's use this style today than don't and most have elements of it (ala Win10/KDE) Gnome 3 was a pioneer of this style.. And *you* don't have to like it, XFCE exists and is great too.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

              The reason macOS, Android, and iOS use that style of interface is because it is modern and *most* people find it more usable. More OS's use this style today than don't and most have elements of it (ala Win10/KDE) Gnome 3 was a pioneer of this style.. And *you* don't have to like it, XFCE exists and is great too.
              I take it you haven't kept up with XFCE then. The CSD and GTK3 transition is making them closer to GNOME and Mate than what XFCE traditionalists would like...to the point that it risks becoming GNOME JR with 4.16. A quick glace at their forums shows a bit of backlash against it and some users are even sticking to older versions. I moved to Plasma myself. Qt was the lesser of two evils. CSD vs CLA; CLA won

              The GTK3 transition was enough for me to jump ship so I get a whenever I read up on recent XFCE news.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                So many years with the worst user interface...

                I hope GNOME4 stops using this android/mac interface and moves to something more usable.
                Many people do like it.

                I think that if people want a different interface, they have many choices. Gnome should keep doing what they do.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  240Hz All the big distributors made an independent and thorough evaluation on the desktops. And they consistently picked GNOME.
                  No doubt that microsoft and IBM prefer gnome.


                  Originally posted by nabero View Post

                  Unfortunately, putting more developers on KDE won't make it a better DE. At least we have a usable one, no need for more.
                  yes it would.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

                    Many people do like it.

                    I think that if people want a different interface, they have many choices. Gnome should keep doing what they do.
                    Then I am not "most people".

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      240Hz All the big distributors made an independent and thorough evaluation on the desktops. And they consistently picked GNOME.
                      Which is why Desktop linux is a joke with an irrelevant market share and not taken seriously by anyone. Thanks trannies at Gnome HQ!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X