Qt 6.0 Sees Its First Development Snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
    I recently upgraded to Qt 5.15.0. Now all my apps' popup menus no longer work quite right. Previously, you could, for example, right click and hold the mouse button while moving among the menu items to the item you want, then release the right mouse button and it would cause the highlighted menu item to fire. But now, Qt seems to ignore that mouse button release and I have to click again on the item to get it to finally trigger.

Anybody else experiencing this problem on Qt 5.15.0? Or is this just me?
    Nope, still works as you described it for me. Plasma 5.19.1, KDE Frameworks 5.71.0, Qt 5.15.0 running on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      FireBurn KDE is bleeding right now. They have no answers to disruptive changes like Wayland and how Qt now officially hates Software Freedom. The big distributors figured this out this years ago and just went with GNOME. Forkers already started moving Old KDE components in new directions.
      While they have made some duck moves in recent times, this quote comes from a message of their development mailing list. I didn't have to dig deep, it's from yesterday (or today depending on the timezone).

Oddly enough, continued support for the Free Software ecosystem around Qt is one of the things most of us who work here care about deeply, so we tend to find it fairly thoroughly offensive when someone suggests we're trying to get rid of it - which, as a matter of legal practicality, we couldn't do *in any case* even if a hostile take-over left us owned by corporate overlords hell-bent on doing so, thanks to our legal arrangements with the KDE Free Qt Foundation. Our management, in any case, knows full well that the Free Software side of the Qt ecosystem is vital to the continued viability of this company and any business model it can realistically hope to make a living off. If you have heard otherwise, I might remind you of the old saying that a lie will get around the world before the truth can get its boots on.
      And from the same thread

Of course this is once again from "inside that evil company", but I want to add something here: Lots of people inside that evil company *do care* about the open source community *greatly*. There have been heated discussions about some recent decisions that have been made inside the company and there was quite some disagreement internally as well. We are not all the "evil corporate overlords" some people might envision when they see a @qt.io mail address.
      Just to say that things might be a little different from the story you keep telling in each and every post about Qt or KDE

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Maybe not the apps themselves, but the shell probably ois way more customiseable. however you have to use extensions to do what you want instead of a a checklist of features that KDE uses.
        I think that's one of the things really wrong with Gnome 3. Basic stuff should be baked into the shell, not grafted with extensions which are not guaranteed to work on the next update.

PS: I agree that some aspects of Gnome are definetely more customizable, but "the upstream" -as 144Hz likes to call it- don't really like users poking around extensions and themes, because things tend to break since themes are kind of a hack and AFAIK there's no real api for extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Nope, still works as you described it for me. Plasma 5.19.1, KDE Frameworks 5.71.0, Qt 5.15.0 running on Arch.
          Ahh, okay, thank you for letting me know! Now I'm kind of inclined to try my hand at re-compiling Qt 5.15.0 by hand -- maybe the bug was something the distro I'm using caused. I'm running Sakaki's Gentoo 64-bit image on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM. It's uses the XFCE environment, no KDE Frameworks here. The previous Qt 5.14.2 that I had been using on this system (compiled by hand) was working fine.

Comment

144Hz As a matter of fact those who love free software do a lot of damage too. Usually with praise, while when QtCo makes mistakes at least they get the s*itstorm they deserve.
            About the machiavellian tactics, you're free to tell anything you like, even when you make little sense and sound just paranoid. If things were like you said and they were the evil masterminds you envision, they would have made very different moves. Maybe a little more red-hatty

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Well, Gtk is not the only alternative. FOX is also a quite nice cross-platform toolkit. The only downside is that it looks pretty horrible by default. No problemo for people like us who like to tweak a bit with the FOX Control Center, but most end users will want to use it as is, so... But it's a good alternative nonetheless.
              Maybe it's a good framework, but I wouldn't call it an alternative. Not even close.

Comment

I am guessing that not a single one of us ended up signing up to download the pre-release.

If the same licence exists in the tarball, then the whole discussion is pointless.

It is not about whether the company is evil or not - it was actively considering a 12 months period between commercial release and open source release. This may not have happened yet or may never happen, but it is something worth checking with especially new major releases.

Comment

JackLilhammers I’m not sure what you are trying to say here. Of course there will be people siding with Free Software.
                  KDE is True Freedom.

I greatly dislike your Propaganda Format in an attempt to allow the Evil Force GNOME take over the Throne of Phoronix.

(Ugh, I almost thought we won, but no he came back :<)
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 17 June 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Qt doesn’t make mistakes. They continuously prod and test the community to see how far they can go this time. Last time they crossed the line they acted like it was a single baddie and said they learned from the community. Fast forward 1 year and they pulled the same trick. This time no backlash.
                    There has been backlash. Look at all the reactions from the community when Qt did this to us.

While you might be a bit right, it does not give you the opportunity to say GNOME won and KDE is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by danyc View Post

they are about to say QT open source cannot be used for commercial products
                      Why the fuck you care? KDE is commercial product since when?

Comment

Working...
                      X