No announcement yet.

Qt 6.0 Sees Its First Development Snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently upgraded to Qt 5.15.0. Now all my apps' popup menus no longer work quite right. Previously, you could, for example, right click and hold the mouse button while moving among the menu items to the item you want, then release the right mouse button and it would cause the highlighted menu item to fire. But now, Qt seems to ignore that mouse button release and I have to click again on the item to get it to finally trigger.

Anybody else experiencing this problem on Qt 5.15.0? Or is this just me?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      The Qt CLA is just a bad deal. Designed to curb Freedom.
      Still I have much more freedom when writing software with Qt than with Gtk. How's that possible?
      Maybe it's because Gtk's cross platform support is way harder than Qt's?
      Or maybe it's because Gtk nowadays is Gnome-centric and not the other way around.

I'm just a humble developer working with Qt. I wouldn't know, but you clearly do.
      Show us sinners of the software the way to true freedom, supposedly in the hands of Red Hat

Comment

I'm an old school KDE user, at uni it was kde 2, personally I stared with kde 3 on Mandrake Linux, I've moved onto kde 4 and now Plasma 5.

I have to say it doesn't really feel like the project is moving forward any more. Do we know if they've lost lots of Devs?

I've said it since the launch of Gnome 3, if it was more customisable I'd have already have switched to it. It just looks way more polished.

Plasma 5 HiDPI is woeful. There's always something that isn't scaled, currently it's the mouse pointer that I had to change manually.

If you then switch between the X11 and Wayland backends in Kwon you really start to see how unpolished things are. The two should at least look the same but they don't
        Doing a sudo systemctl stop sddm seems to leave at least some things running, there are also issues if you start kwin_wayland from sddm which stopped me testing for years, with only bile and sarcasm from the Devs when I reported it

Currently since 5.14 there's been a pixel grap between my maximised windows and the toolbar which has been winding me up no end. I haven't reported it and refuse to based on the experiences I've received so far when reporting bugs

Lastly a bug I raised many years ago about the moving of widgets when changing resolution (like when playing a game) still hasn't been dealt with, though apparently is finally being picked up now. I stopped using widgets because of this it was so annoying

Anyway that's my little rant, I hope KDE becomes something I can be joyful about again one day, as currently it just feels like the desktop I dislike the least.

Perhaps I'm becoming old and jaded, or maybe I'm just missing the blogs folks used to post from Randa and other Sprint events where real progress used to be made

Comment

I think the project has expanded and now it has to take small steps in a lot of directions. This should be mitigated by the goals initiative, but baby steps.
          Gnome seems much more focused, but then again Gnome tends to take away any feature that could hinder the development, regardless of their users.
          And they can go on that way because Red Hat (and Canonical) couldn't care less about the desktop.
          All things considered the desktop on Linux remains in a quite sad state, but we already know that all too well

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
            I recently upgraded to Qt 5.15.0. Now all my apps' popup menus no longer work quite right. Previously, you could, for example, right click and hold the mouse button while moving among the menu items to the item you want, then release the right mouse button and it would cause the highlighted menu item to fire. But now, Qt seems to ignore that mouse button release and I have to click again on the item to get it to finally trigger.

Anybody else experiencing this problem on Qt 5.15.0? Or is this just me?
            I have a different problem with Qt 5.15, still investigating. I use Zeal for documentation browsing and since I got the new Qt version it become a lot slower. I switched to an older version of Zeal using Webkit backend instead of WebEngine and things are OK again.

As soon as I identify what the problem is I will submit a report (but it may take some time).

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Still I have much more freedom when writing software with Qt than with Gtk. How's that possible?
              Maybe it's because Gtk's cross platform support is way harder than Qt's?
              Or maybe it's because Gtk nowadays is Gnome-centric and not the other way around.

I'm just a humble developer working with Qt. I wouldn't know, but you clearly do.
              Show us sinners of the software the way to true freedom, supposedly in the hands of Red Hat
              Well, Gtk is not the only alternative. FOX is also a quite nice cross-platform toolkit. The only downside is that it looks pretty horrible by default. No problemo for people like us who like to tweak a bit with the FOX Control Center, but most end users will want to use it as is, so... But it's a good alternative nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                I've said it since the launch of Gnome 3, if it was more customisable I'd have already have switched to it. It just looks way more polished.
                Maybe not the apps themselves, but the shell probably ois way more customiseable. however you have to use extensions to do what you want instead of a a checklist of features that KDE uses.

Comment

FireBurn KDE is bleeding right now.
                  It's still in better shape than GNOME, if you value things like "more than basic settings in the file manager", and "a functioning systray for applications".

They have no answers to disruptive changes like Wayland
                  Are you talking of XFCE or MATE now? KDE's Wayland is decent and improving as time goes on.

Comment

starshipeleven Some distributors doesn’t seem to value KDE. Not openSUSE.
                    fixed

Comment

starshipeleven The distributors doesn’t seem to value KDE. Including openSUSE.
                      No, no.

It's just you who doesn't value KDE.

Most people that use openSUSE prefer KDE. If KDE weren't valued then it wouldn't be an officially supported desktop there.
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 16 June 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X