Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I wonder when it will be available [...]
    Have you tried kdesrc-build to use your own local latest copy of Qt, Plasma, etc.?

Tool to allow you to easily build KDE software from its source repositories

Comment

Everyone complaining about KDE and NVIDIA should read this: http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blo...and-on-nvidia/
      Of course it would be great if NVIDIA played a bit nicer and caused less work for people implementing Wayland compositors, but the situation is far less bad - on the KDE side - than some people make it look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day while other desktops like Gnome don't really have any issues left beside maybe some corner case bugs. Even newcomers like Sway pull up a working Wayland desktop in a short time without embarrassment.
        I guess KDE should have stayed with X only. Legacy Desktop, Legacy Window System.
        Yup. Plasma Wayland session is full of bugs, but at least there's some progress, and finally the Global Menu i was waiting for.
        It's difficult to develop DE for both X11 and Wayland at the same time not having enough people to do so.
        As you see, Sway is Wayland-only, and is just a tiling DE.
        But, for GNOME it also took years to become enough usable on Wayland.

MATE Desktop plans to support Wayland too someday.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

You just revealed the problem, NVIDIA GPU. If you want a good Wayland experience, use an Intel or AMD GPU.
          I'm still waiting for KDE to actually not crash right at the start on my very generic Intel UHD 620 iGPU. So using Intel is NOT a guarantee that KDE on Wayland will work right.

And for the record: happens on multiple distros and things like Sway and Enlightenment work fine on Wayland, so it's not a distro or driver issue or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

So - if I use a desktop like Gnome or Sway which severely restricts my config options and how the parts of my desktop are allowed to be displayed, and I use very specific hardware - then I might have a somewhat tolerable wayland experience.
            Enlightenment works fine on Wayland and gives you many, many customization options.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

not some 1.5 year old kernel and other software.
              It's clear you don't really understand how Kernels work

Comment

Originally posted by Ximion View Post
                Everyone complaining about KDE and NVIDIA should read this: http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blo...and-on-nvidia/
                Of course it would be great if NVIDIA played a bit nicer and caused less work for people implementing Wayland compositors, but the situation is far less bad - on the KDE side - than some people make it look like.
                As much as I agree with what is there, it's still very unappealing to have nvidia harware with wayland. XWayland not working, or working with very inferior performance is a problem. Also, there is performance implication to use EGLstreams on wayland. I've heard that some buffer copy was needed for "every frame is perfect" to hold.

If NVidia could finally do something about its unix graphic allocator, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                  [...]If NVidia could finally do something about its unix graphic allocator, that would be great.
                  I think nobody can argue with that :-) The situation, while not horrendous, could still be massively better if Nvidia would invest just a bit more into fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

lol, trolling both reddit and phoronix ?
                    Using this time an account, with a few posts, created in 2019. There were several accounts created like that:
                    Phoronix: KDE Ending Out August With Various Fixes & Other Enhancements As the end of the summer nears and KDE's Akademy conference approaches, development is busy as ever on this open-source desktop environment... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Various-Crash-Fixes

Comment

Hm, this broke all 4 sensor widgets I have on my desktop

Edit: It turns out the widgets are not broken, but they have been turned into a single generic sensor widget and the configuration hasn't been migrated nicely. The only problem now is when you add multiple readings, the graphs are always on top of each other and you have to make out colors to figure out which is which. Good luck reading core loads on a Threadripper, I guess.
                      Last edited by bug77; 10 June 2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X