KDE Plasma 5.19 Released After Lots Of Polishing, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.19 Released After Lots Of Polishing, Better Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.19 Released After Lots Of Polishing, Better Wayland Support

The KDE community has released Plasma 5.19 on schedule this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day while other desktops like Gnome don't really have any issues left beside maybe some corner case bugs. Even newcomers like Sway pull up a working Wayland desktop in a short time without embarrassment.
    I guess KDE should have stayed with X only. Legacy Desktop, Legacy Window System.

Comment

Yay! Cannot wait to try it

Comment

I wonder when it will be available on Kubuntu 20.04 since its developers refuse to update Qt.
        The current Wayland implementation is pretty buggy which makes it unusable in some case and if you want video hardware acceleration in Firefox you need Wayland unfortunately.
        Hopefully they will change their minds and upgrade Qt and KDE Plasma.

Comment

wonder when manjaro will have an update to it.currently on 5.18 at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day while other desktops like Gnome don't really have any issues left beside maybe some corner case bugs. Even newcomers like Sway pull up a working Wayland desktop in a short time without embarrassment.
            I guess KDE should have stayed with X only. Legacy Desktop, Legacy Window System.
            I used it for some time and I didn't have major issues. My main issue was Subsurface Clipping, thing which will be fixed with this release according to this link

Comment

Great to see the improvements and polish this release brings!

And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day
              And we still have trolls chiming in here to this day, while normal people are happy to see progress.. literally the news points out that KDE has made big improvements on Wayland support this release, and you just want to whinge that it's inferior to your better funded preference?

Newsflash, Wayland still sucks on Gnome if you use software that relies on XWayland with a Nvidia GPU, Gnome should just stick with X only. Legacy Desktop. Legacy Window System.

Do you use KDE? Would you ever want to? No?.. Then your complaints aren't all that relevant are they. If you actually are interested in it, and want to see Wayland support improve faster, you can contribute in a variety of ways to make that happen, either as a user, a developer or through sponsorship, but I gather you don't care and just want to blabber some bait to de-rail the comments here or you somehow think Gnome is superior and has never had any struggles of it's own.

Comment

Agreed. It's still buggy and unstable on Wayland, so to this day I've been using GNOME on Wayland even though I love Qt and KDE.

There seems to be too much politics and no real progress towards fixing fundamental problems and getting things working.

Comment

Originally posted by vipor29 View Post
                  wonder when manjaro will have an update to it.currently on 5.18 at the moment
                  I think Manjaro tends to hold off until first point release? In past I think it's usually about a month since release(or ~6 weeks if they do the usual two week delay still)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I wonder when it will be available on Kubuntu 20.04 since its developers refuse to update Qt.
                    The current Wayland implementation is pretty buggy which makes it unusable in some case and if you want video hardware acceleration in Firefox you need Wayland unfortunately.
                    Hopefully they will change their minds and upgrade Qt and KDE Plasma.
                    That's why I stopped using Ubuntu long ago, and switched to Arch Linux. I want the latest stable software, not some 1.5 year old kernel and other software.

Even Fedora seems a better choice - nice polished experience and reasonably up to date software. Ubuntu has just been full of NIH and other nonsense for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X