KDE Plasma 5.19 Released After Lots Of Polishing, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    Great to see the improvements and polish this release brings!

Newsflash, Wayland still sucks on Gnome if you use software that relies on XWayland with a Nvidia GPU, Gnome should just stick with X only. Legacy Desktop. Legacy Window System.
    You just revealed the problem, NVIDIA GPU. If you want a good Wayland experience, use an Intel or AMD GPU.

It's obvious that NVIDIA doesn't give a shit about Wayland support. Only idiots like you keep asking everyone else to compromise for NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day while other desktops like Gnome don't really have any issues left beside maybe some corner case bugs. Even newcomers like Sway pull up a working Wayland desktop in a short time without embarrassment.
      I guess KDE should have stayed with X only. Legacy Desktop, Legacy Window System.
      So - if I use a desktop like Gnome or Sway which severely restricts my config options and how the parts of my desktop are allowed to be displayed, and I use very specific hardware - then I might have a somewhat tolerable wayland experience.

Sounds like KDE is the one doing it correctly - allowing the vast majority of users who don't give a care in the world about wayland a good experience, and bringing along wayland compatibility slowly without breaking everything and without having to lock down nearly all configuration options and display options in the process.

Comment

Forgive me for not adding to the Wayland vs Xorg story, but has anyone else noticed there's a also a number of smaller, but rather welcome changes included, besides Wayland improvements?

Comment

How does the fork compare to it? Is there any reason for end users to try it or it's still too soon?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

And Wayland on KDE is still an embarrassment to this day while other desktops like Gnome don't really have any issues left beside maybe some corner case bugs. Even newcomers like Sway pull up a working Wayland desktop in a short time without embarrassment.
            I guess KDE should have stayed with X only. Legacy Desktop, Legacy Window System.
            First comment out of the gate shows an unfortunate underside of the (small, yet vocal and troll-ish) open source community. Props to all of the many KDE contributors on an excellent release!

Comment

lol, trolling both reddit and phoronix ?

Comment

Tried 5.19 it on my Arch GPU passthrough VM this morning with an Nvidia card. Both Wayland and X sessions are broken. Wayland just pushed me back to user login screen, while X session hangs for ever. Didn't get time to look into it further.

Comment

My main hangups about Wayland at this point are: clipboard management (and cross device copy-paste via kdeconnect), and TeamViewer not supporting it (work tool.) Otherwise, Wayland is finally looking interesting. If kde or any of it's derivatives pick up unredirection, then it'd be the cherry on top.

Comment

As a long time Plasma Wayland user I think this is one of the most important ones. Finally the subsurface flickering issue has been addressed and copy & paste works now in Firefox Wayland. These have been the most annoying and critical bugs and I'm very happy that KDE addressed this now after such a long time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by vipor29 View Post
                      wonder when manjaro will have an update to it.currently on 5.18 at the moment
                      Unstable channel already got it. Testing channel will get it in a week. The Stable channel will get it when it will be stable enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X