Qt 5.15 Aiming For Release A Week From Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Well, well. That's brief and scarce on details to a suspicious degree.
    Which details do you need? It says "discussions on various internet forums about the future of Qt open source ... do not reflect the views or plans of The Qt Company".
    That's crystal clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Which details do you need? It says "discussions on various internet forums about the future of Qt open source ... do not reflect the views or plans of The Qt Company".
      It's lawyer speak. It could just as easily mean "they think this is a bad thing and we don't".

Any competent PR department would have said something more concrete yet still giving them plenty of wiggle room if they weren't trying to be deceptive.

Comment

> What are you trying to prove here?

I'm not trying to prove anything here, he argued with a "it smells" and argued with another.

More specifically, he's saying "it smells [...]" while not speaking like the "KDE user and fan" and "diehard KDE user" he claims he is, not speaking like the new user he claims to be, but like someone very used to post there (92 posts in the 9 days he's been here). "It smells", as he says.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          ddriver The art of boiling a frog. Mastered by Qt Marketing.
          Get off here and freaking move Your Crusade out of our sacred land.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

That was debunked time ago (https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-and-open-source).
            That's not debunking; that's the equivalent of Trump yelling "Fake news!" when something damaging comes out.

Reminds me of the time Embarcadero wanted to prevent users of their Delphi PRO SKU from being able to access any databases, even via third-party library, via a EULA change to force users to purchase the next-highest SKU at twice the price. Third-party vendors leaked an email they'd received about the forthcoming license change. After days of silence and non-denial while the community boiled with rage, they finally said that the quoted email was only a draft letter and there was never going to be any EULA change. They insisted this in the face of community members pointing out that once an email is actually sent to other parties it's no longer a draft. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Which views were false? The ones where it sounded like they were open to some negotiation and were throwing out the 12 month delay as a bargaining chip? The one where they were talking about a 12 month delay, because really it's only going to be 11.5 months delay? The ones where people were talking about forking it (because that's not what Qt Company wants so it's not in their plans...)

It's a statement so generalized it's entirely meaningless, because it can mean anything. It reads like a statement PR cooked up and then ran through a bunch of lawyers to water it down even further.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 13 May 2020, 12:28 AM.

Comment

> babbling

In rumors maybe, that's why no one mentions any place where The Qt Company talks about those 12 months (and similar rumors), except that clear "There have been discussions on various internet forums about the future of Qt open source in the last two days. The contents do not reflect the views or plans of The Qt Company."

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

That was debunked time ago (https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-and-open-source).
                  I don't see anything being debunked here? In fact, its even more concerning that they don't specifically comment on the rumours and say it isn't so. If the rumours are false then why not just be specific. This is one of these vague and beloved corporate PR responses that says nothing of substance. It's neither clear nor specific.
                  Last edited by simonsaysthis; 13 May 2020, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I'm not an anti-Qt terrorist/conspiracionist, but I don't trust corporations.

Qt changed owners too many times before being Qt Company, every time they did weird and shady things.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Will this release be delayed by one year for open-source users?
                      No, but point releases after 5.15.2 might be commercial only.

Comment

Working...
                      X