Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Open 150 tabs and tell me if it is slower than Chromium or Chrome...

With less than 10 tabs: Chrome is a bit faster
    With more than 10 tabs: Firefox destroys Chrome entirely.

Last time I checked, I had 172 tabs open (and yes I have a use for them at some point).
    Not on my systems. On average I have around 25-30 pinned tabs and at least 20-30 new tabs open, Firefox still slower and I don't mean the UI, I mean how fast the websites get opened. On three different computers running both Linux and Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Not on my systems. On average I have around 25-30 pinned tabs and at least 20-30 new tabs open, Firefox still slower and I don't mean the UI, I mean how fast the websites get opened. On three different computers running both Linux and Windows 10.
      I'm only using Chrome as a backup browser these days (only a few tabs at a time).
      But not further than a year ago, either on Windows 10 or Linux (on a pro machine for Windows and my decent system at home), Chrome was slowing to a crawl with more than 10-15-20 tabs open. I'm not even talking about how fast websites get open because I could barely get to use the damn thing.

Oh well. Very different experiences it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

If you are a GNOME user, Wayland is ready right now. Right. Now.
        Just started it. Only 10 minutes to check.
        Synapse is a no go. SMPlayer is completely messed up. And artifacts and lags appear when maximizing/minimizing windows. Still not ready.
        At least Synaptic is now working without hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, Right now as in, Right now Gnome still doesn't do most of what a desktop needs. Gnome still is almost entirely white space. Gnome still has an asinine layout requiring too much clicking around and they make it worse constantly. Gnome still breaks randomly on every single update. Gnome still breaks themes constantly. Gnome still doesn't care -AT ALL- about look and feel.... Right. Now.
          WTF? Seriously man, have you actually ever used GNOME or are you just trolling? Too many clicks? LOL, just LOL.

You are so butthurt that your favourite DE is behind the curve and no company wants to support it because it sucks, that you invent problems that don't exist or were fixed ages ago.... Cry us some more please.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Just started it. Only 10 minutes to check.
            Synapse is a no go. SMPlayer is completely messed up. And artifacts and lags appear when maximizing/minimizing windows. Still not ready.
            At least Synaptic is now working without hacks.
            First of all, you need to specify which distro and which GNOME version. Plus if you are an Nvidia pleb, in which case your rant can be dismissed, as no sane Linux user would buy Nvidia harware in the last few years. I am running the latest GNOME on Arch and it is rock solid. No "artifacts" or "lags" whatsoever, in fact, the latest GNOME has been so much snappy it is insane, i have never used a fully-featured DE that was this fast, ever, not even windows apple whatever shit, GNOME is simply put the fastest.

Synapse? Synaptic? I don't use these things and don't care about these things. Still why wouldn't they work? Can't they work with XWayland? Not Wayland and GNOME's fault Synapse doesn't work.

SMPlayer is indeed an issue and is my favourite player too, but Celluloid works fine on Wayland while we wait for SMPlayer to get fixed (it is not a Wayland issue, it is an SMPlayer issue). Plus VLC works fine, and all other media players, except SMPlayer.

Pretending that Wayland is not ready today because bugs=exist, is hypocritical at best, trolling at worst, because if a few glitches and bugs meant we wouldn't use something, no one would be using Linux today. It is not like X11 is without troubles, especially in a historical context....

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Regular GNOME users:
              Wayland is ready.

Vocal minority on alternative desktops:
              Wayland is not ready.
              You've said this a million times and you don't need to sound rude whilst saying it.

Comment

Regular GNOME users:
                Wayland is ready.

Wayland is not ready.
                This is the truth. I have been using Wayland for months, it is rock-solid. I am amazed at GNOME's progress regarding Wayland, 3.34 was very good and 3.36 is much better, assuming you are on MESA. It is very, very fast, seriously, i remember earlier GNOME versions in terms of snappiness and there is no comparison. Early GNOME versions were notoriously slow, but the latest is super fast. And very, very stable on Wayland. I don't remember the last time a Wayland session crashed for me. It was long ago. And most apps work fine, the only issues i have are SMPlayer being broken and a couple commercial games flickering. That's about it. Everything else works fine whether on Wayland or XWayland.

Anyone who claims GNOME Wayland is not ready, is trolling.

Comment

As usual. Thanks a lot to Martin Stransky. Thanks a lot to Red Hat.

This work is part of Fedora’s GNOME@wayland platform.
                  144Hz creating 12 accounts to like himself!

Comment

Ugh, look. 144Hz turns the thread again into a pro-GNOME flamewar.

He is succeeding at trolling and destroying the rest with his crusade.

Comment

Regular GNOME users:
                      Wayland is ready.

Wayland is not ready.
                      I'm a regular gnome user and I beg to disagree with the first part.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

First of all, you need to specify which distro and which GNOME version. Plus if you are an Nvidia pleb, in which case your rant can be dismissed, as no sane Linux user would buy Nvidia harware in the last few years. I am running the latest GNOME on Arch and it is rock solid. No "artifacts" or "lags" whatsoever, in fact, the latest GNOME has been so much snappy it is insane, i have never used a fully-featured DE that was this fast, ever, not even windows apple whatever shit, GNOME is simply put the fastest.

Synapse? Synaptic? I don't use these things and don't care about these things. Still why wouldn't they work? Can't they work with XWayland? Not Wayland and GNOME's fault Synapse doesn't work.

SMPlayer is indeed an issue and is my favourite player too, but Celluloid works fine on Wayland while we wait for SMPlayer to get fixed (it is not a Wayland issue, it is an SMPlayer issue). Plus VLC works fine, and all other media players, except SMPlayer.

Pretending that Wayland is not ready today because bugs=exist, is hypocritical at best, trolling at worst, because if a few glitches and bugs meant we wouldn't use something, no one would be using Linux today. It is not like X11 is without troubles, especially in a historical context....
                      Ubuntu. Gnome 3.36 on the laptop. Gnome 3.34 on the desktop. AMD in both cases. Using both equally. I'm not ranting, I've literally just tested it on both computers just moments before posting. The glitches were visible in Firefox (to stay at least a bit on topic, although I'm still on version 74) and Thunderbird. I didn't have to go very far to find striking issues.
                      I'm sorry but It's not trolling to say it's not ready when I found issues in 10 minutes that Xorg does not have. It's not because you call it that way with your prism that it is. You can see many people saying Wayland has issues, lags or slowdowns (in game). Ignoring it is also trolling then.

Synapse is a launcher. I only use it (and the keyboard then) for less frequent apps that are not on my dock. I don't use Activities Overview (deactivated the hot corner and the button) or Applications thingie of Gnome because they are way too slow and require too many mouse movements or clicks for my workflow. I can do everything vanilla Gnome does twice faster with Dash-to-Dock (most frequent) and Synapse (less frequent) and I have more controls over my windows. So it's essential to me.
                      Synaptic (equivalent of pamac on Manjaro) now finally works, years later, so I won't elaborate more than necessary, that's an important step.

Comment

Working...
                      X