Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements

Mozilla has released Firefox 75.0 as what is a big update for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this make wayland mode useabe?

Comment

Been using it since yesterday on Archlinux. It is great, it seems the Wayland mouse focus issues have been fixed. Though the Arch package seems to be missing some important upstream patches for dmabuf, it crashes for me when i enable vaapi and webgl on amdgpu and mesa. I commented on Martin Stranky's blog about it and he said he is going to write a blog post about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        As usual. Thanks a lot to Martin Stransky. Thanks a lot to Red Hat.

This work is part of Fedora’s GNOME@wayland platform.
        why do you thanks red hat? They make this because their plataform to make money, not to help you

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
          Yes, but why not test it yourself? It is not hard to run firefox on wayland and test it.

Comment

The Flatpak doesn't enable Wayland by default, but Wayland on Firefox is pretty solid at the moment, haven't noticed anything majorly broken.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

why do you thanks red hat? They make this because their plataform to make money, not to help you
              And they provide it for free to us, they didn't ask us for any money. Why not thank them? What is wrong with that? Some of you people are too entitled....

Comment

From my anecdotal experience, it was fairly usable with FF 74 and Gnome 3.34 a couple weeks ago when I last tried it. Performance wise it was pretty good. Online video was smoother under Wayland than under X11 on my Ryzen 3500U laptop (Linux 5.5, AMDGPU+Mesa 20).

My main issue, and why I switched back to X11 was mouse cursor responsiveness under Wayland. In Firefox, the cursor image was often stuck as an arrow, and mouse over actions failed to produce their intended effects (both to the cursor itself and on the page). And in general when my system was heavily loaded (compiling, low on memory & swapping) the mouse pointer would take seconds to respond to trackpad inputs. Secondly my preferred video player, mpv, seems a little janky under Wayland. Using the smplayer frontend requires a separate video window. Celluloid works, but lacks all the kb shortcuts to which I'm accustomed.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yes, but why not test it yourself? It is not hard to run firefox on wayland and test it.
                  I probably will once it gets put in the ubuntu repos. I just ask because I don't have time for extensive performance comparisons and people here probably have a better idea for what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

And they provide it for free to us, they didn't ask us for any money. Why not thank them? What is wrong with that? Some of you people are too entitled....
                    You are confused. RHEL has never been free. And they are legally obligated to release changes to Firefox code. This is not charity - it's business. Very big business.

Comment

Working...
                    X