Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Squaring Away Vulkan Support For Its Next Release

Phoronix: FFmpeg Squaring Away Vulkan Support For Its Next Release

2020 could be the year we see the Vulkan API seeing more adoption on the desktop outside of games. We are already looking forward to LibreOffice 7.0 with Vulkan rendering support coming out later this summer while the next FFmpeg release also has Vulkan support lined up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what "AMD AF encoding" is.
    Is it a typo and it should actually be "AMD Advanced Media Framework (AMF)"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      I wonder what "AMD AF encoding" is.
      Is it a typo and it should actually be "AMD Advanced Media Framework (AMF)"?
      Nah AMD is just encoding as fuck

Comment

In the 5th year since the initial spec release why do mainstream desktop distros like Ubunutu still ship without vulkan enabled out of the box?
        Why do they require users to install it seperately? It should be considered standard functionality.
        Last edited by humbug; 13 March 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

"ture hd" tildearrow, ya been slackin

Comment

Nille_kungen Snaipersky Come on I was sleeping :l

It's not like I am awake all-day...

I sleep pretty late and when I wake up Michael has posted lots of articles already!
            Last edited by tildearrow; 13 March 2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              ... Why do they require users to install it seperately? ...
              Because it's not that simple.

Vulkan on Nvidia GPUs requires the proprietary drivers before many Nvidia users consider using it. Others don't want to use these drivers. The different open source implementations are of varying quality and with many GPUs unsupported or only partially. Where it works may a GPU be too weak to make an impact and to warrant the effort. The Vulkan specification sees new additions about every month and forces users to play catch-up with the development. This includes regressions and bugs that keep creeping into the development forcing one to skip a version and to wait for the next, and making everyone with a serious interest in Vulkan to follow the repositories and commits religiously. Ubuntu then wants users to have a consistent experience and to provide them with a long-term support for their distros and this just isn't possible with Vulkan a this time.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Nille_kungen Snaipersky Come on I was sleeping :l

It's not like I am awake all-day...

I sleep pretty late and when I wake up Michael has posted lots of articles already!
                This is IT, where do you work that you get sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Because it's not that simple.

Vulkan on Nvidia GPUs requires the proprietary drivers before many Nvidia users consider using it. Others don't want to use these drivers. The different open source implementations are of varying quality and with many GPUs unsupported or only partially. Where it works may a GPU be too weak to make an impact and to warrant the effort. The Vulkan specification sees new additions about every month and forces users to play catch-up with the development. This includes regressions and bugs that keep creeping into the development forcing one to skip a version and to wait for the next, and making everyone with a serious interest in Vulkan to follow the repositories and commits religiously. Ubuntu then wants users to have a consistent experience and to provide them with a long-term support for their distros and this just isn't possible with Vulkan a this time.
                  I really hate when the reason for not doing something on Linux is essentially "but Nvidia".

Even worse is when "but LTS" is tacked on.

"But Nvidia" and "but LTS" are always recipes for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

This is IT, where do you work that you get sleep?
                    Google forgot they hired him so they just keep depositing a salary into his account every other week.

If we could all be so lucky

Comment

Working...
                    X