FFmpeg Squaring Away Vulkan Support For Its Next Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I really hate when the reason for not doing something on Linux is essentially "but Nvidia".

Even worse is when "but LTS" is tacked on.

"But Nvidia" and "but LTS" are always recipes for disaster.
    You know how open source works. Get active yourself, or get what you're being given.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

We are abandoning X *because* of its feature set.
      Yep, it would be good to see a Vulkan backend happen but that will likely take some time.
      X's feature set does not seem to the problem. Sure, many people think remote access is overrated these days. But at the same time people scramble to use whatever proprietary tools will let them share their screen in a teleconference (of course, X will not help you when other parties are on Windows, but that's another story).
      I was talking, for example, about how long it took Wayland to offer screen capture ability. Because, by design, that was deemed a security issue.
      Last edited by bug77; 16 March 2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        You know how open source works. Get active yourself, or get what you're being given.
        Same can be said of Nvidia not giving enough so the free Nvidia drivers just work. Outside of terrorism, no amount of me being active will fix Nvidia not releasing enough blobs for various open source developers to make an NVGPU driver to remove the "But Nvidia" from the equation.

"You have 15 minutes to release the firmware or the puppies die".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Same can be said of Nvidia not giving enough ...
          Nvidia is doing fine. They contribute a lot. For some it's never enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Z's feature set does not seem to the problem. Sure, many people think remote access is overrated these days. But at the same time people scramble to use whatever proprietary tools will let them share their screen in a teleconference (of course, X will not help you when other parties are on Windows, but that's another story).
            I was talking, for example, about how long it took Wayland to offer screen capture ability. Because, by design, that was deemed a security issue.
            Remote access remains crucial at least for some use cases but X does not come with high-performance tools that just work either.

Sure, screen capture took a moment and many tools still don't have it implemented. I'd argue that it is worth to isolate windows such that a browser (or any other tool) cannot read my root terminal windows but I get the frustration with that.
            Last edited by mppix; 16 March 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X