Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
    I'm really anticipating the ubuntu 20.04 mutter package being updated; hopefully fixing the invisible mouse pointer I'm experiencing https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1866371
    It's fixed in the final 3.36.0 release (can personally verify), I doubt Ubuntu would ship with beta packages.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      Unfortunately, the gnome3 mac-like (or android-like?) user interface is horrible. I really hope they reconsider and switch to a more usable design.

I think the gnome foundation knows their UI is horrible, maybe its their pride that stops them from acknowledging this reality? sad really...
      Actually, it's great. Even without add-ons. Furthermore, you can always enable 'normal' menu, windows list bottom panel etc. However, I prefer plain Gnome 3 experience. I wouldn't ever suppose I'll switch from KDE, but I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Actually, it's great. Even without add-ons. Furthermore, you can always enable 'normal' menu, windows list bottom panel etc. However, I prefer plain Gnome 3 experience. I wouldn't ever suppose I'll switch from KDE, but I did.
        Shocker!!! People like different things!!!

(and that's fine).

Comment

They actually have a suspend option in the power menu :O

The sky has fallen!

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I prefer Dash To Panel and kind of started relying on Multi-Monitors Add-on...and the NASA APOD for my wallpaper (I used that one on Plasma too).

Those and Clipboard Indicator are the only ones that I consider to be must haves. Except for the Multi-Monitors one, everything I use is already updated for and working on 3.36

I've been on Plasma for the past 5 or 6 years outside of the past week-ish. Been giving Fedora Silverblue a whirl and Gnome is its default UI. While there are KDE and other community editions of Silverblue, and as a long time KDE user of course that's what I used first, it's just clear from using both its KDE and Gnove versions that so much of the tooling is Gnome focused and Gnome offers a superior OOTB experience with Silverblue.

If I was on regular Fedora I'd be on a KDE version and wouldn't have given Gnome much of a look.

It's funny. Forcing myself to use Gnome has made me appreciate what they're trying to do. Not necessarily like everything, but appreciate. I still prefer the crazy amount of settings that Plasma offers.

FWIW, my review of Silverblue is -- don't use it unless you like making things hard on yourself. While it's a perfectly good system for people like Phoronix posters, it is not something that I'd recommend for a new Linux user...half being it lacking in documentation and the other half being that not all Flats are ready for Prime Time.

Damn I can ramble on

Comment

Music will download missing cover art for detected albums automatically.
              Ok, but please fix this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-music/issues/137

Applications should not make unexpected remote connections, that's against the user's privacy and is intrusive. I want have trust for the platform that I'm using.

Comment

Unfortunately, the gnome3 mac-like (or android-like?) user interface is horrible. I really hope they reconsider and switch to a more usable design.

I think the gnome foundation knows their UI is horrible, maybe its their pride that stops them from acknowledging this reality? sad really...
                With what? Like an application menu and taskbars? omg lol gross! Welcome to 2010 buddy. Windows had a bad design, nobody should copy it. Gnome actually has a better UI than macOS imo. The workflow is a little easier and the file manager is better. (I know ppl love finder but.. ick)
                Last edited by k1e0x; 11 March 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

GNOME Classic session, basically an extended GNOME Shell mimicked the legacy GNOME 2 interface, will help.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/1101 ?

Well, Ubuntu ships a quite modified version of GS, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of bugs users of vanilla Gnome do not see. Give the Canonical devs some time to catch up or try vanilla Gnome instead of the Ubuntu session before judging Gnome devs, please.

I do not see any of these problems on vanilla Gnome 3.36. I regularly compile Firefox and 3.36 is the first release where my mouse does not stutter any more in certain stages of the build - it just stays responsive so far.
                    Sorry I did not clarify, yes, all these problems are with vanilla gnome. I never use ubuntu session.
                    wow, I've never known gnome not to stutter and mouse unresponsive (ssd's help greatly). it's always disk/browser related. installing/upgrading debs also cause stutter.
                    don't even get me started on running in a vm.

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post

Sorry I did not clarify, yes, all these problems are with vanilla gnome. I never use ubuntu session.
                      wow, I've never known gnome not to stutter and mouse unresponsive (ssd's help greatly). it's always disk/browser related. installing/upgrading debs also cause stutter.
                      don't even get me started on running in a vm.
                      Ah ok. Well, in that case lets hope it gets reported and fixed

Concerning stutter under IO: just came across https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome..._requests/1054 which didn't made it into 3.36.0, but appears to be about to get merged - the author appears to be very determined to find and eliminate every case of sync IO in the compositor thread so we get rid of these problems

Comment

Working...
                      X