Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Damn apps.fedoraproject.org needs to update their tables faster

But that annoying full screen multi-monitor bug is still present. I'm going back to F31 and 3.34 for the time being.
    Those pages are unfornately pretty buggy. I find bodhi to be easier to see what's in testing. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...ackages=mutter

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I'm pretty certain you can run gnome 3.36 right now in Artix with either openrc, runit, or S6 instead of systemd. That is, if all you are trying to do is run it without systemd. If you are devoted to FreeBSD, then enjoy the long wait.
      Gentoo (openrc) is at 3.32
      FreeBSD is at 3.28

I should note Plasma 5 is pretty much up to date in FreeBSD.. tho KDE understands there are more opensource Unix-like OS other than Linux.

Ya, I don't do systemd.. it's too hard. Personal preference.
      Last edited by k1e0x; 11 March 2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

FreeBSD is at 3.28

I should note Plasma 5 is pretty much up to date in FreeBSD.. tho KDE understands there are more opensource Unix-like OS other than Linux.

No one cares about the BSD desktop.

It's a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

FreeBSD is at 3.28

I just checked and pacman did offer to install gnome 3.36 on Artix openrc. I'm not a gnome fan, and the download would be 277 packages, so I took a pass. But it is there. Should work fine. I haven't seen anyone complaining about gnome not working on the Artix forum recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            No one cares about Fedora.

It's a joke.
            Fixed it for you.

Comment

It's a joke.
              That's why I run it on a laptop. And it's great. KDE though, no Gnome. Way better then foodora. Got Gentoo on the desktop

Comment

Those pages are unfornately pretty buggy. I find bodhi to be easier to see what's in testing. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...ackages=mutter
                Yeah, that is better.

Comment

It's a joke.
                  I care. Other people care too. Isn't open source wonderful where people have so many options to do what *they* like?

I just checked and pacman did offer to install gnome 3.36 on Artix openrc. I'm not a gnome fan, and the download would be 277 packages, so I took a pass. But it is there. Should work fine. I haven't seen anyone complaining about gnome not working on the Artix forum recently.
                  Meh, I don't want to learn a new distro. I'm.. I guess not really that happy with Gentoo.. but if I need actual Linux for something it suffices without annoying me too badly. I can hack it enough to not offend me and just be very simple and basic. I like small daemons, things in text files and manual everything. Most Linux distros boot up and they have like 200 PID's. waaay too much going on to manage. Half of it's trying to guess what I want to do and "help" me, like Windows, and usually it guesses wrong and I have to fight it.

Networking is a good example. I may not want to connect to the internet or just have my wifi working.. That I can take care of.. more likely I'm trying to do some bizarre bridge thing or what have you and the thing's retarded and like "dur, would you like to connect to tha internet bob" No! leave me alone! lol I just want to use the route command like it's 1980 please.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 11 March 2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

How’s the fractional scaling? Still blurry text when using Firefox(or chrome)?

Comment

I'm pretty certain you can run gnome 3.36 right now in Artix with either openrc, runit, or S6 instead of systemd. That is, if all you are trying to do is run it without systemd. If you are devoted to FreeBSD, then enjoy the long wait.
                      Yep, I just hope the components in use have a long term perspective. For example elogind, which AFAIK is mandatory for GS nowadays but apparently is still not in the debian repos (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rsity-Question - please correct me if that has been figured out by now). Also, with most Gnome developers using systemd based systems, the pre-systemd/pre-3.34 service management code in GS, while still functional, will likely start to bit-rot and probably get removed in a couple of releases altogether. So instead of relying on Gnome to maintain code that badly duplicates systemd functionality (because when it was created there was no proper system component to do that job), it would be very helpful if the BSDs etc. came up with suitable alternatives.

Complex service dependency management, being increasingly needed for a resource efficient and feature rich experience, is nothing every DE should need to implement and maintain.
                      Last edited by treba; 11 March 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X