Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Not surprised, GNOME 3's performance has always been garbage, it has been completely unusable in VM's or old Intel-based GFX for example.

Hope it does improve on those case usages and I can stop avoiding it like the plague it has been so far.
    This is hyperbole at best. I've used Gnome 3 based distros in VirtualBox several times, and while it's not incredible, it's certainly not what I would consider "completely unusable".

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      An incredible release. It's crazy how much faster my desktop/notebook have become in the past few months thanks to Gnome/Canonical/everyone's hard work.

Same hardware, nothing has changed, just software getting better and more optimized AND I'M HERE FOR IT!
      That has been the general case for Linux for years! We Haagen come A very long way with drivers especially for GPU’s. I can not remember a time when Linux got dramatically slower, instead we have steady progress.

the contrast with Windows is stark. Even Windows 10 seems to get slower over time.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        The best just got better

Thanks all contributors!
        Nice!

Can't wait for FreeBSD to get it in 2 years after they backport out the systemd cruft. (actually excited yay Gnome!)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          I'm probably going to wait till the first point release. I tried it out with F32 and there seems to be quite a few regressions.
          Luckily F32 isn't 3.36 yet. Just the beta (3.35.91). At least not on SB...based on an rpm-ostree update an hour ago and the output of apps.fedoraproject.org before posting.

After posting I'm gonna rebase over to rawhide which does have 3.36.0-3 and see if big annoyance of "drag window to top of screen to maximize it, only it partially maximizes between two monitors" is gone. That is making my F32 use painful this morning. And grabbing the scrollbar and moving it in Firefox (Flat) doesn't scroll or show output until I let off the click and then it's like I had moved it to where I wanted it.

rpm-ostree rebase makes this stuff fun again.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            I hope they won't forget about memory consumption also. 1GB on boot just for (lets be honest) lowfunctional fullscreen grid of apps and couple of panels - is ridiculous.
            Well, the pure shell should only use around 100-200MB, and a good part of that is actually textures/framebuffers/cached stuff (see e.g. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1004). If the whole DE uses 1GB it is likely that you get a whole bunch more, lots of services that you may or may not use. The trend here is to load more and more on demand (even Xorg/Xwayland can already be loaded on demand as an experimental feature), and that is one of the reasons why Gnome makes more use of systemd: it makes this much easier than it was in the past.

Such a setup (starting any service you might need at some point on demand so you don't need to do it by hand or have everything loaded at boot) is the way forward. Operating systems without systemd should hurry up to provide something similar if they don't want to be left behind. There are many choices (port launchd or whatever), but don't expect modern DEs to work well without a good service management system below.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              Such a setup (starting any service you might need at some point on demand so you don't need to do it by hand or have everything loaded at boot) is the way forward. Operating systems without systemd should hurry up to provide something similar if they don't want to be left behind. There are many choices (port launchd or whatever), but don't expect modern DEs to work well without a good service management system below.
              That all great but I do use a DE with plugins and applications, not a shell. A simple comparison - get a Fedora with KDE, XFCE and GNOME spins. KDE has lots of features and customizations and eats almost 3 times less memory. XFCE became a bit heavier on GTK3 but still it manages to eat 400MB and has lots of plugins. GNOME is a complete rubbish in functionality\resource consumption ratio. And that's on the flagship fully GNOME-ish distro. I will never forgive Canonical stepping in this shit and destroying Ubuntu with this. There is a simple answer why GNOME 3 is crap - Linux Mint and things like Ubuntu Mate and Ubuntu Budgie are existing only because people does not like G3.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Luckily F32 isn't 3.36 yet. Just the beta (3.35.91). At least not on SB...based on an rpm-ostree update an hour ago and the output of apps.fedoraproject.org before posting.

After posting I'm gonna rebase over to rawhide which does have 3.36.0-3 and see if big annoyance of "drag window to top of screen to maximize it, only it partially maximizes between two monitors" is gone. That is making my F32 use painful this morning. And grabbing the scrollbar and moving it in Firefox (Flat) doesn't scroll or show output until I let off the click and then it's like I had moved it to where I wanted it.

rpm-ostree rebase makes this stuff fun again.
                the F32 testing branch has 3.36 and you can rebase to that. Use ostree remote refs fedora to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

That has been the general case for Linux for years! We Haagen come A very long way with drivers especially for GPU’s. I can not remember a time when Linux got dramatically slower, instead we have steady progress.

the contrast with Windows is stark. Even Windows 10 seems to get slower over time.
                  Actually, distros with older and LTS packages have been pretty consistently out-performing distros with the newer packages for quite some time now. That plus CPU mitigations has resulted in a significant slowing as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

the F32 testing branch has 3.36 and you can rebase to that. Use ostree remote refs fedora to see them.
                    Damn apps.fedoraproject.org needs to update their tables faster

But that annoying full screen multi-monitor bug is still present. I'm going back to F31 and 3.34 for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      Nice!

Can't wait for FreeBSD to get it in 2 years after they backport out the systemd cruft. (actually excited yay Gnome!)
                      I'm pretty certain you can run gnome 3.36 right now in Artix with either openrc, runit, or S6 instead of systemd. That is, if all you are trying to do is run it without systemd. If you are devoted to FreeBSD, then enjoy the long wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X