No announcement yet.

Firefox 75 On Wayland Now To Have Full WebGL, Working VA-API Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to switch to Wayland, but what holds me back are: the ability to access to clipboard, and the lack of WINE support.

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
      I wanted to switch to Wayland, but what holds me back are: the ability to access to clipboard, and the lack of WINE support.
      Last time I tried WINE ran fine under Xwayland (but I didn't test with games -- anyway, Xorg is just a new session away when you need it). What do you mean by clipboard access?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Most of the youtube videos don't get encoded with h.264 anymore
        That's completely wrong. 4K and 8K aren't in h264 on Youtube (they never were), but h264 is still very much available at 1080p and lower resolutions for *every* video.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

Of course dmabuf works under X, where does this notion come from that it supposedly doesn't?

mpv uses VAAPI in the exact same way under X and Wayland and there's no copies being done either way. It's very simple - grab hardware surface handle using vaExportSurfaceHandle(), import surface data into OpenGL using EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import. mpv does exactly that, and it doesn't matter if it's under X or Wayland. If Firefox can't do that in X, that's a Firefox limitation, not something inherent in X.
          Can I share that dmabuf with the compositor/display server with a subsurface under X?

From https://community.arm.com/developer/...-siggraph-2014

The Wayland subsurface mechanism allows videos to be streamed separately to UI content, rather than combined by the client as they are today in X11. This separation allows the display server to make a frame-by-frame decision as to how to present it: using power-efficient hardware overlays, or using the more flexible and capable 3D GPU.
          The Firefox implementation directly relies on Wayland sub-surfacing.
          Last edited by Britoid; 03 March 2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Firefox is not going to use hardware overlays. They are a completely clusterfuck to actually use, have a bunch of vendor-specific capabilities and restrictions and aren't even available on many platforms. It would be a complete waste of effort. Plus, they don't even offer compelling advantages in most cases.

Hardware overlays made a little bit more sense on underpowered ARM SoCs from some 5-10 years ago, but nowadays, they are neither important nor particularly beneficial. Except for one use case: digital rights management.
            Last edited by brent; 03 March 2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              That's completely wrong. 4K and 8K aren't in h264 on Youtube (they never were), but h264 is still very much available at 1080p and lower resolutions for *every* video.
              1080p isn't and honestly hardware acceleration is way less important for 720p or lower.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

Last time I tried WINE ran fine under Xwayland (but I didn't test with games -- anyway, Xorg is just a new session away when you need it). What do you mean by clipboard access?
                Switching between Xorg, and Wayland is not a good solution.

Clipboard managers don't work under Wayland, because they intentionally restrict the access to clipboard contents for (security reasons).

Also, a lot of KDE desktop effects don't exist under Wayland, and the right side of the maximized windows doesn't fit the screen.

I don't know what else don't run under Wayland, but the other previous issues are enough to don't use Wayland, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  Can I share that dmabuf with the compositor/display server with a subsurface under X?
                  Subsurfaces are something else entirely. Just because they don't exist in X, doesn't mean dmabuf doesn't. I can only repeat - mpv uses dmabuf in the same way on X and Wayland. Of course that means mpv isn't using subsurfaces, but they aren't a necessity for zero-copy video.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    1080p isn't and honestly hardware acceleration is way less important for 720p or lower.
                    Show me a youtube video then, that has 1080p VP9 available, but not 1080p h264.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

Let it go. I've been using Wayland Firefox full-time since it came out in Nightly until a couple of days ago, when I switched back to X11. It's that bad.
                      No it is not. I realize this is a subjective opinion up to a point, but is not. I am writting this comment on Firefox right now having tens of tabs open, on Wayland, while a youtube video is playing on the background. I have no issue using Firefox/Wayland, right, now. If you do, well, don't use it. But saying it is "unusable" it is just FUD.

Comment

Working...
                      X