Firefox 75 On Wayland Now To Have Full WebGL, Working VA-API Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 75 On Wayland Now To Have Full WebGL, Working VA-API Acceleration

Phoronix: Firefox 75 On Wayland Now To Have Full WebGL, Working VA-API Acceleration

Firefox 75 due to be released next month should finally have its native Wayland support in good order...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. I hope this means Fedora will ship with the relevant vaapi drivers/libraries/tools out the box.

It be cool if VDPAU could also be supported.

Comment

Need to replace my gpu for an ATI asap.

Comment

Why didn't they start with supporting X.org? I couldn't care less about Wayland which is still largely a tech demo.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Why didn't they start with supporting X.org? I couldn't care less about Wayland which is still largely a tech demo.
          Ignoring your trolling, this question has already been answered.

It's easier and faster under Wayland, which unlike X, isn't legacy technology.
          Last edited by Britoid; 03 March 2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I recall a while back having to force firefox WebGL stuff into version 1 or something like that.

Running a Vega card on Ubuntu, it wouldn't render otherwise. Strange stuff.

Wonder if this changes anything about that.

Comment

Oh that is awesome! Video acceleration through VA-API was something that was missing for a looooooooooooooooong time in Firefox (I know other browsers don't support it either by default). And, as a Fedora user running on Wayland (which works very well and doesn't feel tech demo at all, btw) I'll be able to test that as soon as the release is done!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ignoring your trolling, this question has already been answered.

It's easier and faster under Wayland.
                About t(h)rolling...
                Is this solution the same that vlc, mplayer, mpv, xine, etc. use? Using different words, does Firefox/Chromium use real hardware acceleration (= GPU hardware) for decoding?

Comment

For anyone who wants to try this, it's only enabled for H.264. Use the h264ify add-on to for that if you want to test on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by KoenDG View Post
                    I recall a while back having to force firefox WebGL stuff into version 1 or something like that.

Running a Vega card on Ubuntu, it wouldn't render otherwise. Strange stuff.

Wonder if this changes anything about that.
                    really? I haven't come across that - I have been using webrender now for months without issue though, so maybe that's the difference?

Comment

Working...
                    X