Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt Continues Squeezing More Performance Out Of GNOME 3.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear LinuxCommunity,
    can you please STFU about who did more, who did less?
    This is not a competition and nobody does it for fame.

Stop to fight. Let them work on this awesome project together. Without all that toxic community bla bla.
    Thanks.

In Love - That community member who is happy about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      that's pretty much exactly what happened. The switch to GNOME 3 resulted in major, obvious and overall unacceptable performance issues. Then Canonical fixed a few of the "low hanging fruit" issues with good results and this kickstarted the performance focus we see at the moment.
      You expect us to trust you that it's all a big coincidence that GNOME performance sucked until Canonical announced their intention to clean it up? And it's really Redhat that did all the work with Canonical getting all the credit? Nice story bro.

Some of us are old enough to remember how crappy fonts looked on Red Hat compared to Ubuntu or how much Red Hats installer still sucks compared to Ubuntus. Canonical reputation for having the ability to produce a polished Desktop is one that they have earned.

Say what you will. Canonical's Daniel identified issues that plagued Gnome literally for years...from 3.0 to 3.30. Those issues bothered me and now they are fixed and for that I am thankful to Canonical.
      Last edited by slacka; 24 February 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

So you expect us to trust you that it's all a big coincidence that GNOME performanced sucked until Canonical announced their intention to clean it up and blogged about their progress. And it's really Redhat that did all the work with Canonical getting the credit? Nice story bro.

Some of us are old enough to remember how crappy fonts looked on Red Hat compared to Ubuntu or how much Red Hats installer still sucks compared to Ubuntus. Canonical reputation for having the ability to produce a polished Desktop is one that they have earned.
        Red Hat can't ship with patent-protected software, being a US company. This included a bunch of font anti-aliasing patents, Canonical, being based in the IoM/UK didn't have this restriction.

Does Ubiquity even support raid yet?
        Last edited by Britoid; 24 February 2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

You expect us to trust you that it's all a big coincidence that GNOME performance sucked until Canonical announced their intention to clean it up? And it's really Redhat that did all the work with Canonical getting all the credit? Nice story bro.
          No, I'm not saying that at all. Canonical kickstarted the performance focus with their initial fixes (and they continue their work), but others, including some of the long-standing GNOME developers, have joined in on that. So more people are working on performance problems now, which is great. I'm not trying to downplay Canonical's work, quite the opposite.

Comment

Canonical's work should be applauded and not criticised here. We all benefit.

At the same time correlation is not causation.

Just before canonical returned to gnome-shell, a LOT of work was done to catch up with not using an ancient tech stack to build gnome shell. There are blog posts about how everything was updated to use the latest MozJS, which was a multi-release effort. Steps like this then allowed the performance work to be targetted where it should be.

Canonical stepped up to the plate here, but were not the only ones. Before this stage performance work was not a priority asthe stack was so out of date and needed to be fixed first.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

That's how Canonical rolls: Claim credit for work others (usually Red Hat) did.
              I don't think Canonical is claiming anything here. They are not the ones writing the articles, they are just submitting PRs.

Comment

Linus Torvalds is the Martin Luther of UNIX. When he posted his interpretation on the Wittenberg Blog, it changed *nix forever.

Just like Martin Luther, we now have a million schisms on just how to translate what exactly he wanted on the door.

As post Catholic theology has moved into many, many splits and interpretations, so has Linux.

These discussions remind me of some cut throat blogs on post-Catholic followings in the world.

Lots of religion, not much belief.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Yes, that's pretty much exactly what happened. The switch to GNOME 3 resulted in major, obvious and overall unacceptable performance issues. Then Canonical fixed a few of the "low hanging fruit" issues with good results and this kickstarted the performance focus we see at the moment.
                  I wouldn't call CPU side window picking "low hanging fruit"...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Fun part is that other devs did more performance work than vanvugt during the 3.35 releases.
                    Citation needed and NOT something anecdotal.

Comment

I really wish the community could realize that corporations are really big, and that everyone who works there isn't part of some evil shadow board just because an executive or PR person at a company is an asshat, or because a corporation wants to make money. And you can still appreciate their contributions without approving of their actions 100%.

Shuttleworth is a douche. Like Elon Musk. Both of which had great ideals with some poor execution and social skills. Lets include 95% of IBM execs and management (who bought Red Hat) in the douche list. I still like Teslas. I still like RHEL/Fedora. I appreciate Ubuntu for contributions and for bringing attention to Linux. It brought people to Linux who would have never touched it, otherwise. And it made distro staff start to pay attention to the end user experience.

Van Vugt deserves positive feedback for his work on it. Ubuntu benefits from that. It helps mitigate some past image issues, which is fine. People and corporations change. I didn't like how they handled collaboration and PR in the Mir era, but I do like that they've aligned with everyone else and chosen to focus on collaborating and improving. It's what we wanted them to do, so we should be liberal in our appreciation. We want more companies to build around open source, and to contribute to the greater ecosystem.

That doesn't mean we can't praise others, or prefer other distros. But we don't have to split up into tribes and play favorites. The world isn't split into good and evil. Criticism means little when you do nothing but criticize. If our criticism can possibly contribute, it should be in stark contrast to our generous praise.

At the very least, try not to be the first to light a match at the flame war.

Comment

Working...
                      X