Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt Continues Squeezing More Performance Out Of GNOME 3.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents about the who does what:
    There was a lot of performance work long before Canonical rejoined the party (see for example old bugs like https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782344)

At the same time, Daniel does some really great work. My favourites of this cycle were reduced relayouts (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/575) and the much smoother overview (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/936 and more).

I guess it would help if we all would see that a lot of people are involved (some neither working for Canonical or RedHat) and that things are going in a really good direction. GS 3.36 will be a big jump performance wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
      At the very least, try not to be the first to light a match at the flame war.
      I came here looking for the posts "Gnome sucks. KDE always." lol. They must be doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Awesomeness Canonical is VERY careful to not do anything like this. All links are to Canonical work.
        https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/boost...tu-19-10/13095
        That's how it goes. Thou shalt bash Canonical in all circumstances. When Canonical follows the pack, thou shalt whine that Canonical never contributes anything. When they implement technologies developed by others, thou shalt put up a tantrum that they are taking away your sacrosanct "choice". When they identify a problem and implement a solution, thou shalt condemn them for fragmenting the community. When they contribute to upstream projects, whine that they try to claim credit to other people's work. But no matter what, nothing of what Canonical does must ever be seen as good. The Word of the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME Shell had one (now two) full time maintainers. They have to maintain and work on a lot more than just performance. So yes, someone who is being paid to work solely on just performance work is going to be able to do a lot more performance work than someone who has to maintain the whole thing.

Obviously, a good thing about Ubuntu switching to GNOME 3 was the increased user base, which has increased interests.
          And this is how behaves Canonical, is the same with Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Canonical still makes contributors sign a CLA to contribute to their projects (which understandably puts people off). Why would a developer at SUSE contribute to Snap when they have to sign an agreement that allows Canonical to make proprietary versions of Snap with that contribution, that SUSE itself can not do?

Red Hat and SUSE don't do this, and given they're in the black, it should be a key indicator of something.
            That's not exactly true. You can make any patches etc. you like to Snap without signing any CLA whatsoever. The CLA only comes into play if you want Canonical to merge your work into their release, which is neither required nor necessarily important. You can even fork and distribute Snap entirely CLA free and the only one who would lose anything would be... Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
              I came here looking for the posts "Gnome sucks. KDE always." lol. They must be doing something else.
              Gnome sucks, KDE sucks too. They all suck in different ways. There is no panacea.

After using Linux for 25 years all I can say is... you @#$% kids get off my lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

We're just sitting back eating popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post

We're just sitting back eating popcorn.
                  I'd like to thank all KDE developers and contributors for making the awesome KDE so that I don't have to munch on the regurgitations of RH or Canonical employees on the desktop. I am not religious, but thanks god for KDE.

Thank you very much, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Well, the problem with this is that "the Linux community" is largely Red Hat, a competitor of Canonical.
                    does it mean that people who improve linux are largely read hat employees?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                      Well, the problem with this is that "the Linux community" is largely Red Hat, a competitor of Canonical. Make of that what you will.
                      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      does it mean that people who improve linux are largely read hat employees?
                      It means that Linux developers eventually get hired by Red Hat as its the primary company that hires them.

Red Hat likely has over 15,000 employees by now.

Canonical has a few hundred employees by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X