Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 80 Released With WebVR 1.1, Dropping FTP Support

Phoronix: Google Chrome 80 Released With WebVR 1.1, Dropping FTP Support

Now promoted out of beta is the Google Chrome 80 web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How am I gonna download files from the demoscene servers then? Some of them still use FTP.

Comment

So if I setup my own FTP server or use one on the internet I cannot access it with Chrome ?
      Good to know!
      I thought that Chrome can be a real alternative to Firefox, but I see now that they make a joke of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        So if I setup my own FTP server or use one on the internet I cannot access it with Chrome ?
        Good to know!
        I thought that Chrome can be a real alternative to Firefox, but I see now that they make a joke of it.
        Why would you setup your own FTP server at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Why would you setup your own FTP server at this point?
          Why not?
          Maybe I want to transfer some files from one computer to another.

Comment

(retracted)
            Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 05 February 2020, 12:03 AM. Reason: I needed to retract my post.

Comment

A samba server?: Facing the internet? Are you out of your mind?

Notoriously insecure.

Another fact is that FTP provides a structured directory listing while HTTP does not have a standard way to list directories (you can format directory listings with HTTP but everyone invents their own way to do it rather than use a standardized means to do so). This makes things really difficult if you need to write scripts to query directory listings.
              Last edited by Neraxa; 05 February 2020, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Why not?
                Maybe I want to transfer some files from one computer to another.
                You can't use any of the better alternatives like say sftp?

Comment

I guess Google needs to tell all the scientific data repositories that allow public access via ftp (and refuse to support sftp) that they need to stop using it.

Comment

https, zsync, torrent, rsync, git-annex, send.firefox.com , there are just so many ftp alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                    X