X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave. Better, faster, safer.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

You can't use any of the better alternatives like say sftp?
      I don't know...
      Does that work with a web browser?
      Do I need to buy a certificate for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't know...
        You can use:

$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer

in the directory you want to share. Then visit the url in the browser. So for a local IP, would be something like http://192.168.0.24:8000/

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          I guess Google needs to tell all the scientific data repositories that allow public access via ftp (and refuse to support sftp) that they need to stop using it.
          What is their reasoning in not supporting sftp?

Comment

I don't know...
            No, sftp runs over ssh. You're thinking of ftps (certificate).

It's funny how people are angry at google for not supporting an outdated protocol while they are most likely not using Chrome anyway.

Comment

Dropping ftp support will not affect "regular users". I'm not one of them, and probably no one else around these forums either.
              Point is: everyone here do know how to handle ftp links if encountered.

Heck... I even have extension for gopher://. :P

Comment

Thanks Google they drop FTP once and for all. Let's hope that serves as a final cut to the protocol itself: please let it die!

FTP was never meant to be used over the internet (heck, it was first invented in 1971, 20 years BEFORE the internet itself!) and, as such, it causes more problems than it solves nowadays that there are zillions of better alternatives.

Hey you, yes, you, nostalgic sloth hung to your die-hard-habits, wanna run FTP in 2020 with a browser? No problem, just don't pretend the rest of the world to support you. Moreover, for free. There are other browsers out there, or you can stick to Chrome 81 forever. Or, even better, you can mantain a fork of Chrome 81, where you backport new features and fixes, while still keeping FTP support in it. It's FOSS after all.

Comment

removing ftp.... how ...... useful.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    How am I gonna download files from the demoscene servers then? Some of them still use FTP.
                    Install a plugin? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kmipm?hl=en-GB

Use a dedicated application like FileZilla?

Use your OS's default file manager? Explorer (on windows), Dolphin (KDE), GNOME's file manager, Thunar (XFCE), Caja (MATE), and others probably.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 February 2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

So if I setup my own FTP server or use one on the internet I cannot access it with Chrome ?
                      Good luck setting up a FTP server that is accessible from the internet, consumer firewalls (and ISP firewalls applied on consumer-grade internet access) commonly block the type of communication used by a FTP server if it comes from your side of the wire.

Consumers are usually limited to download from FTP but not set up their own.

Comment

Working...
                      X