Firefox 72 Released With Picture-In-Picture Video Support Working On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 72 Released With Picture-In-Picture Video Support Working On Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 72 Released With Picture-In-Picture Video Support Working On Linux

Firefox 72 is now available from Mozilla's FTP server as their first release of 2020 and ahead of their more aggressive release cycle moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any word about QUIC support ?

Comment

I just looked up firefox Picture-In-Picture on youtube and i that is something i will use.

Comment

Lower WebRender CPU usage please, my Thinkpad T430S turns into space heater when using youtube even though I use hardware decoding and force H264 playback with h264ify.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          Lower WebRender CPU usage please, my Thinkpad T430S turns into space heater when using youtube even though I use hardware decoding and force H264 playback with h264ify.
          How you can use hardware decoding if Firefox on Linux still not support it? Or maybe you taking on layers?

Comment

Originally posted by brainlet_pederson
            Firefox is a completely dead browser. Their market share is in the single digits now. It just goes to show -- you can't just hire dozens of blue-haired SJWs into software engineering roles and hope they'll produce quality work. Especially not when you're competing with Google.
            Eh i hope this is supposed to be funny because it makes no sense.

Comment

That's nice but still no hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by brainlet_pederson
                Firefox is a completely dead browser. Their market share is in the single digits now. It just goes to show -- you can't just hire dozens of blue-haired SJWs into software engineering roles and hope they'll produce quality work. Especially not when you're competing with Google.
                Linux / GNU etc. are totally dead projects. You can not hope for a bunch of long haired hippies to create anything useful, especially if you are competing with Microsoft and Apple 🙄

Apart from the not-yet-existing hardware decoding on Linux, the Webrender issue for this is AFAIK https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1579235

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Linux / GNU etc. are totally dead projects. You can not hope for a bunch of long haired hippies to create anything useful, especially if you are competing with Microsoft and Apple 🙄
                  Your analogy is totally incorrect.

Comment

I just compiled v72 and tried Picture-In-Picture on a few YouTube and Prime videos and it worked fine. I don't have a Netflix streaming account anymore, just DVD/Blu-ray, so I don't know about that.

But even though it works, it seems to be of limited usefulness right now. It has to stay on top, and if you browse from the launch point in the browser it disconnects.

I expect with more work they'll make it a fully floating window that can be anywhere on any level, and stay connected when browsing to other pages. Then it will be awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X