Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

For a few years GNOME has supported a "launch on discrete GPU" option for applications within the Shell's menu while for GNOME 3.36 that support is being cleaned up and extended to also handle NVIDIA GPU configurations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm very happy to see this. However, until we get NVIDIA proprietary drivers working properly with Wayland, I can't use this. Here's to hoping all of this gets worked out in the next couple of months.

I use fractional scaling with Wayland on my three 4K monitors, and would *so* love to finally be able to use the NVIDIA hardware in my XPS 15.

Comment

Wow, that is nice.
      How does it work if it doesn't use VGA-Switcheroo? Ugh 144Hz

Comment

Strange, for some reason I never seen this "launch on discrete GPU" option for Radeon Vega 64 eGPU attached to HP Elite x2 1013 G3 via Thunderbolt 3.

Comment

Thank you. Gpu switching is a giant pain in the dick.

Comment

anything that enables multiple displays with Wayland and Nvidia Optimus laptops would be a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by ajboyle View Post
              I'm very happy to see this. However, until we get NVIDIA proprietary drivers working properly with Wayland, I can't use this. Here's to hoping all of this gets worked out in the next couple of months.

I use fractional scaling with Wayland on my three 4K monitors, and would *so* love to finally be able to use the NVIDIA hardware in my XPS 15.
              instead of waiting for second coming of novideo, you could just buy linux-friendly hardware

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                How does it work if it doesn't use VGA-Switcheroo?
                it doesn't use it with novideo windows blob, because novideo windows blob doesn't provide it

Comment

Working...
                X