Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Bringing Better Multi-GPU Handling With Switcheroo-Control, NVIDIA Support

For a few years GNOME has supported a "launch on discrete GPU" option for applications within the Shell's menu while for GNOME 3.36 that support is being cleaned up and extended to also handle NVIDIA GPU configurations...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...etter-Dual-GPU

Well done GNOME.

Here's the MR details.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/781

Comment

I'm very happy to see this. However, until we get NVIDIA proprietary drivers working properly with Wayland, I can't use this. Here's to hoping all of this gets worked out in the next couple of months.

I use fractional scaling with Wayland on my three 4K monitors, and would *so* love to finally be able to use the NVIDIA hardware in my XPS 15.

Comment

Wow, that is nice.
        How does it work if it doesn't use VGA-Switcheroo? Ugh 144Hz

Comment

Strange, for some reason I never seen this "launch on discrete GPU" option for Radeon Vega 64 eGPU attached to HP Elite x2 1013 G3 via Thunderbolt 3.

Comment

Thank you. Gpu switching is a giant pain in the dick.

Comment

anything that enables multiple displays with Wayland and Nvidia Optimus laptops would be a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by ajboyle View Post
                I'm very happy to see this. However, until we get NVIDIA proprietary drivers working properly with Wayland, I can't use this. Here's to hoping all of this gets worked out in the next couple of months.

I use fractional scaling with Wayland on my three 4K monitors, and would *so* love to finally be able to use the NVIDIA hardware in my XPS 15.
                instead of waiting for second coming of novideo, you could just buy linux-friendly hardware

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  How does it work if it doesn't use VGA-Switcheroo?
                  it doesn't use it with novideo windows blob, because novideo windows blob doesn't provide it

Comment

Working...
                  X