Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Had A Busy November With Some Big Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    sarmad Screensharing in wayland depends on the compositor not the app.
    Well not exactly. The compositor needs to support some screen sharing standard (Gnome and KDE now both support the XDG-portal, don't know about sway) and the app as well. Here's a post about OBS Studio: https://feaneron.com/2019/11/21/scre...io-on-wayland/

So until more apps switch to that new standard (which has the advantage that it can be used from flatpak/snap), they won't support screen sharing like they could on X11. And that is actually a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
      in the meantime people are leaving linux in mass
      I'm pretty sure there has to be a mass before it can leave

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I've heard this same statement with 3.28, 3.30, 3.32, and 3.34. Yet, I still get a choppy activities animation (maybe 20~30fps or so) on an Intel HD 620 as soon as I connect a second monitor. If I open a lot of windows (say 12 or so) then it takes almost a second from the time I lift my hand off the Super key till the activities animation start. That is, a second until Gnome kicks off the animation.
        So I think this is down for two reasons (in terms of slowdown when attaching another monitor).

Adding another monitor adds additional render cost, which is nothing new, but I also think there's a current flaw in Mutter where two monitors share the same internal clock in the compositor, which means they both try and get updated at the same time, which is impossible because they're different, thus we get skipped frames.

The latter should be fixed by work going on replacing the master clock, I don't know if it's going be in time for 3.36 but as far as I know it's planned.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Well not exactly. The compositor needs to support some screen sharing standard (Gnome and KDE now both support the XDG-portal, don't know about sway) and the app as well. Here's a post about OBS Studio: https://feaneron.com/2019/11/21/scre...io-on-wayland/

So until more apps switch to that new standard (which has the advantage that it can be used from flatpak/snap), they won't support screen sharing like they could on X11. And that is actually a good thing
          This.

Allowing any client to have full control over the display server (as under X11) was not a feature, but a massive security hole that's just not going to fly in 2019 and you need to support to speak X. Unfortunately a lot of tools/functionality from third-parties relied on it and that's going to need to be replaced where possible with securable and formatted dbus apis, which is far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            treba yeah, more performance work will land soon. It looks like they want to get some of the new features in first. Like the new improved login shield and the new extension tools.
            Imo performance and bug fixes should always be a priority over features.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Imo performance and bug fixes should always be a priority over features.
              That isn't the case. A lot of patches come from volunteers who work on what interests them. This isn't centrally dictated and it shouldn't be

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                Took them 10 years to get to almost gnome 2 smoothness?
                gnome 2 wasn't smooth at compositing. it didn't support compositing at all

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  That isn't the case. A lot of patches come from volunteers who work on what interests them. This isn't centrally dictated and it shouldn't be
                  any volunteer worth his salt should make sure his features are fast and bug free. this includes old features which are currently slow and/or buggy

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    any volunteer worth his salt should make sure his features are fast and bug free. this includes old features which are currently slow and/or buggy
                    In an ideal world, everyone writes bug free highly efficient code. We don't live in that world

Comment

Okay, maybe anyone have an idea why touchscreen input works much worse via Mutter after upgrading Ubuntu 18.10 to 19.10 on HP Stream 7 Tablet? Now it's practically impossible to even type text in Gnome Terminal.

There is of course just 1 GB of RAM, but with several workarounds it was possible to use device for a few tabs in web-browser with Ubuntu 18.10. Now it's just unusable even for terminal with plenty free RAM, so this time something different is going on, it does not looks like to be related to RAM.

Comment

Working...
                      X