Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Had A Busy November With Some Big Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter Had A Busy November With Some Big Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter Had A Busy November With Some Big Performance Optimizations

The GNOME developers were particularly busy last month with various improvements to GNOME Shell and Mutter for increasing the usability of the desktop and optimizing its performance / power-savings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Latest 3.35 devel branch is smooth even on old hardware now.

2 cores CPU, iGPU and 2 GB RAM.
    Took them 10 years to get to almost gnome 2 smoothness?

Comment

from horrible performance to crap performance, they still have long way to go, and in the meantime people are leaving linux in mass https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

i'm pretty sure ubuntu going gnome 3 encouraged even more people to leave, or maybe that was valve officially announcing giving up on native linux development, in favor of emulating windows lol

Comment

Aw crap I'm too late to grab the popcorn! The show "I Hate GNOME!" has already started!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Latest 3.35 devel branch is smooth even on old hardware now.
          I've heard this same statement with 3.28, 3.30, 3.32, and 3.34. Yet, I still get a choppy activities animation (maybe 20~30fps or so) on an Intel HD 620 as soon as I connect a second monitor. If I open a lot of windows (say 12 or so) then it takes almost a second from the time I lift my hand off the Super key till the activities animation start. That is, a second until Gnome kicks off the animation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
            ... in the meantime people are leaving linux in mass https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
            Ah so people are leaving MacOS even faster. And people migrate from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              If I open a lot of windows (say 12 or so) then it takes almost a second from the time I lift my hand off the Super key till the activities animation start. That is, a second until Gnome kicks off the animation.
              That one got fixed recently
              If your distro doesn't have it by now it will come with 3.34.2

Edit: see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/763

Yet, I still get a choppy activities animation (maybe 20~30fps or so) on an Intel HD 620 as soon as I connect a second monitor.
              If this is in the Wayland session: yep, unfortunately expected. If everything works out it will get fixed with 3.36. If it's on X11: still will get better with 3.36
              Last edited by treba; 03 December 2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                That one got fixed recently
                If your distro doesn't have it by now it will come with 3.34.2
                Glad to hear that it's a bug rather than a faulty design. Mine is at 3.34.1

Originally posted by treba View Post
                If this is in the Wayland session: yep, unfortunately expected. If everything works out it will get fixed with 3.36. If it's on X11: still will get better with 3.36
                Hmm.. actually I tried Wayland and it seems noticeably smoother than X11. It actually is smooth with Wayland. Are people referring to Wayland as their reference when they mention performance improvements?
                Unfortunately I can't switch to Wayland yet as I need screen sharing functionality which, last I heard, is still not supported in Wayland by most of the apps.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I've heard this same statement with 3.28, 3.30, 3.32, and 3.34. Yet, I still get a choppy activities animation (maybe 20~30fps or so) on an Intel HD 620 as soon as I connect a second monitor. If I open a lot of windows (say 12 or so) then it takes almost a second from the time I lift my hand off the Super key till the activities animation start. That is, a second until Gnome kicks off the animation.
                  AFAIK there was a hard coded delay in starting the animations. it didnt matter how fast your CPU/Graphics were the delay was still there.

As for the animation itself (the swarm), this cycle they are planning to work on the app display screens so hopefully there will be much improvement there.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Aw crap I'm too late to grab the popcorn! The show "I Hate GNOME!" has already started!
                    Do you really think that GNU / Linux users are players? A very small part, on my Steam PCs I don't even install it under torture!

Comment

Working...
                    X