Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce's xfce4-panel Says Farewell To GTK2 Support

Phoronix: Xfce's xfce4-panel Says Farewell To GTK2 Support

Following last month's release of Xfce 4.14 that transitioned from GTK2 to GTK3 as its tool-kit, old remnants of GTK2 support are now being nuked...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like cheese with crackers, I hear XFCE pairs well with Debian!

Comment

All joking aside, glad to see the progress!

Comment

I request a moment of silence for our comrade debianxfce

Comment

I still miss xfce 3.6 CDE look and feel. Luckily CDE is now available as a source and works reasonably well.

Comment

By the time XFCE completes its full transition to GTK3, GTK4 will have been released...

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
              I request a moment of silence for our comrade debianxfce
              I think we all requested a moment a of silence when he was still around...

Comment

so, the goal for the 4.14 was to cut gtk2 deps but they didn't quite make it. So the next ubuntu lts 20.04 will still have gtk2.0 because 4.16 wont be released until then. Is this about right?

Comment

I'm glad they waited so long to drop the GTK2 plugin support. Even with all the main components having been written in GTK3 for some time, there are unfortunately still GTK2 panel plugins that have been quite useful.

Personally, the only GTK2 plugin I'm currently using is the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin. The dockbarx application has been updated to GTK3, but the plugin hasn't, and likely won't be. It's ability to pin applications to the taskbar without using separate space for launcher vs window list item, as well as the ability to launch pinned applications with Super + # has been extremely useful.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X