Xfce's xfce4-panel Says Farewell To GTK2 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
    I'm glad they waited so long to drop the GTK2 plugin support. Even with all the main components having been written in GTK3 for some time, there are unfortunately still GTK2 panel plugins that have been quite useful.

Personally, the only GTK2 plugin I'm currently using is the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin. The dockbarx application has been updated to GTK3, but the plugin hasn't, and likely won't be. It's ability to pin applications to the taskbar without using separate space for launcher vs window list item, as well as the ability to launch pinned applications with Super + # has been extremely useful.
    How much of 4.12 is Gtk3, do you know? I've read that 4.12 should have been mostly Gtk3, but I'm not sure. I'd like there to not be a performance hit in moving from 4.12 to 4.14, or for the performance to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
      By the time XFCE completes its full transition to GTK3, GTK4 will have been released...
      If GTK4 "stable" development is anything like GTK3 development, that's a good thing, They're aiming for less breakage and turbulence. One could only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        How much of 4.12 is Gtk3, do you know? I've read that 4.12 should have been mostly Gtk3, but I'm not sure. I'd like there to not be a performance hit in moving from 4.12 to 4.14, or for the performance to improve.
        4.12 wasn't GTK3. When I said "some time" I meant that the major components had been ported to GTK3 in their previous development branch (4.13) for well over a year, maybe 2.

I've been on 4.13 dev, and now 4.14 since early 2018. I haven't really noticed any performance regressions on my hardware. You can always boot a live USB of a distro that comes with the latest to test it, like Manjaro, or maybe MX Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
          I'm glad they waited so long to drop the GTK2 plugin support. Even with all the main components having been written in GTK3 for some time, there are unfortunately still GTK2 panel plugins that have been quite useful.

Personally, the only GTK2 plugin I'm currently using is the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin. The dockbarx application has been updated to GTK3, but the plugin hasn't, and likely won't be. It's ability to pin applications to the taskbar without using separate space for launcher vs window list item, as well as the ability to launch pinned applications with Super + # has been extremely useful.
          DockbarX is cool however is poorly integrated. I wonder why the XFCE4 don't port the mate-dock-applet to fill this gap as they did with the mate-screensaver.

Comment

Am I the only one thinking an re-evaluation of Xfce's performance and memory consumption is in order, now that it has moved to GTK3?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I think we all requested a moment a of silence when he was still around...
              That moment... is now.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That moment... is now.
                So imma tell ya about my OS. It's based on _____________ with Mesa git builds from ______________ which is really for ________________ but their OS and my OS are close enough that's it's all good. You also have to compile an amd-staging kernel even though you have an R9 390 and there is nothing in the staging kernel you actually need, but it's bleeding-edge so you has ta use it. From there you have to install XFCE from ___________ repository because they build it from source and include all the in-progress GTK3 code that makes XFCE even faster and lighter. After that you should watch my video hosted at ___________ where I discuss the remaining 57 tweaks that have to be done. If Michael could test that you all would see that my OS is the best there is and that KDE sucks and you're just wasting your time with that crappy low-latency fork of KWin that skeevy420 doesn't use at all because it's horrible and bloated and XFCE is just so much leaner and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                  I request a moment of silence for our comrade debianxfce
                  I'm sure he's alive and well, he just resigned from his role as this forum's resident troll. But don't worry, there are others who are more than up to the job.

Comment

The only thing I don't like about the gtk3 switch is the less stability in XFCE4. Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 were rock solid stable, never had any problems. Got Xubuntu 18.04 and FreeBSD 12 rocking XFCE and get random crashes sometime from Thunar and the panel. Seems like the code quality has gone down in XFCE or less bug testing was done or something...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I think we all requested a moment a of silence when he was still around...
                      Reading his insane posts was a weird period in my life --the end of an era

Comment

Working...
                      X