X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post

What problems KDE have? I don't know any, so you should name them.
    The main problem I have with KDE is a champagne problem: not enough devs creating 3rd party applets/widgets and 3rd party KDE apps

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    IMHO: KDE is dog ass slow and bloated.
    Bloated, that's up for discussion. But slow? Ages ago, with KDE 4 and early KDE 5 builds, but not anymore. Your precious macOS is slower now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by abott View Post
    Gnome is the biggest shit stain for open source. How can something be made by so many people sharing the same wrong, shitty ideas? At least KDE is a real, functional desktop that performs well. It has nearly all gnome's features...as options. It's the best.
    Last time I used KDE (some Plasma 5 version), it didn't have a built-in onscreen keyboard, no auto-rotation or brightness adjustment, or anything really useful for a tablet. Iirc right before I gave up with it, an update came with an onscreen keyboard for SDDM, but nothing else (so you could log-in with an OSK, but after logging in, you either have no OSK, or need a 3rd-party one).

KDE was also weird when it came to HiDPI scaling. On Xorg, if I used the AMDGPU DDX driver, half of UI elements would scale, and others wouldn't. If I used modesetting, everything seemingly scaled fine.

On GNOME, my only real issue with it is with how the cursor is handled in Wayland (no idea how anyone uses it with a software-accelerated laggy cursor). I don't use extensions (outside of distro-defaults on Fedora) or custom themes nor really need them. GNOME works fine for me.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Not anywhere near how Unity was.

I currently use:

(snip)
    The only thing on that list I see useful is Gsconnect, but considering I wear a watch that already lets me receive notifications and send messages, I can't say it matters to me any more.

Everything else mentioned I get-by fine with defaults, and haven't felt any need to seek an extension to change that.

Originally posted by flower View Post

Only if you don't need apps which rely on a tray. I need nextcloud client and KeePassxc. So it is unusable for me
    I use KeePassXC heavily on GNOME; didn't know it had a tray, and can't say I ever needed it to have one.
    Last edited by Guest; 21 July 2019, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Leet we forget the Suckless project. Probably so called because it sucks, and does less.
    I guess you haven't used dwm.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Ok Mez,

you didn't get that pressing the menu power button a little longer or pressing ALT changes the button. That's well hidden, i agree. I have never seen the clock chopping any window title on my screen, but that might be my fault: I just never look there, I don't know why I should.

Where I really disagree:

I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and more natural than rigid window dragging.
    I played around with that in compiz times, i was a fun effect, but I never looked back when it was gone. I don't want my brain to focus on any wobbling, and I don't think thats more natural. Ever moved something like a pen across your desk? Does it wobble? Windows ain't no water. And if it's more natural: why didn't any graphical environment (Windows, OSX, KDE, Gnome, Android, IOS, XFCE...) that up? I think you're rather alone with your point of view.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Has anyone tried the recent beta with Wayland? Is the mouse cursor free of stutter now?

Btw: I use Plasma on a slow Gemini Lake SoC, works like a charm with Compton as compositor and with ~360MB of RAM consumption after logging in (including GvFS & Dropbox). Don't make yourself a fool by claiming Plasma would not be usable on slow systems...

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Only if you don't need apps which rely on a tray. I need nextcloud client and KeePassxc. So it is unusable for me
    You got that right: The default state is unusable for you. Not for all people. I do use some other extensions, for example dash to dock, but I never needed or missed that one. Even without dash to dock, I'm pretty quick doing my tasks on gnome, I just think it's more convenient having that.

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    Ironically, the "Kstatusnotifieritem/appindicator support" extension, from KDE team, works well in this case
    I don't think thats made by the KDE team. Any proof?

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

I currently use:
    1. Better Volume Indicator
    2. Caffeine
      • I disabled screen locking (included in dconf) and yet it went locking (not necessarily when idle), at least this extension makes it work
    3. Dash to Dock (Gnome is not usable without it)
      • One good thing about Dash to Dock is that I got back dodging from early Unity
    4. Frippery Move Clock
      • Why in hell would you put the clock in the middle, especially when it cuts the title of the window?
    5. Gsconnect
      • This one is independent of Gnome
    6. Mpris Indicator Button
    7. Onboard Indicator (for occasional lazy mouse use)
    8. OpenWeather
    9. Panel OSD
    10. Sound Input & Device Chooser
    11. Suspend Button
      • I have a 4 months uptime and I suspend every night, who is the idiot that removed it?
    12. TopIcons Plus
    13. Ubuntu appindicators
    14. Unite
      • That's one useless title bar less ( that's just common sense for current screens that are wide)
    15. User themes
      • For Gnome not to look ugly and outdated
    15 extensions to get a usable workflow/desktop, among which at least 10 are due to Gnome own shortcomings at basic features.

I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and natural than rigid window dragging.
    Then you're using GNOME wrong. GNOME isn't Unity and isn't a Windows or macOS clone.

If you hold over power off, it becomes suspend.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME is pretty usable without extensions.

I currently use:
    1. Better Volume Indicator
    2. Caffeine
      • I disabled screen locking (included in dconf) and yet it went locking (not necessarily when idle), at least this extension makes it work
    3. Dash to Dock (Gnome is not usable without it)
      • One good thing about Dash to Dock is that I got back dodging from early Unity
    4. Frippery Move Clock
      • Why in hell would you put the clock in the middle, especially when it cuts the title of the window?
    5. Gsconnect
      • This one is independent of Gnome
    6. Mpris Indicator Button
    7. Onboard Indicator (for occasional lazy mouse use)
    8. OpenWeather
    9. Panel OSD
    10. Sound Input & Device Chooser
    11. Suspend Button
      • I have a 4 months uptime and I suspend every night, who is the idiot that removed it?
    12. TopIcons Plus
    13. Ubuntu appindicators
    14. Unite
      • That's one useless title bar less ( that's just common sense for current screens that are wide)
    15. User themes
      • For Gnome not to look ugly and outdated
    15 extensions to get a usable workflow/desktop, among which at least 10 are due to Gnome own shortcomings at basic features.

I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and more natural than rigid window dragging.
    Last edited by Mez'; 21 July 2019, 06:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Yeh. That's the only extension I install. I get the reasoning for hating icon trays (I hate them too), but it's kind of annoying. I'd rather there be a tray in the system menu.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X