Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    IMHO: KDE is dog ass slow and bloated.
    I would agree, KDE is horrible - Plasma on the other hand is fast and snappy :P

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      IMHO: KDE is dog ass slow and bloated.
      Somehow still works fast even on ROCKPro 64 (i.e. not on x86) even with software rendering via framebuffer (effects set to xrender).

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

IMO this is a problem because GNOME relies way too much on extensions, so that when extensions break the whole desktop becomes dramatically less usable. Things like the dock, applications/places menus, desktop icons etc. should all be part of the core functionality and be rock solid. Then if extensions were only needed for stuff like checking for twitter posts, f/x rates or the weather, the breakages wouldn't matter nearly as much.
        GNOME is pretty usable without extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Gnome has many great ideas and some wrong ones but the same is true for every other desktop in existence, Windows and MacOS included. Gnome has some long standing implementation issues, especially the Gnome Shell's single threaded model and the recurrent debate about extensions. KDE has its own share of problems. In the race of Linux desktops KDE is the distant second (or is it even the second?) and there are objective reasons for that, it's not the result of some dark Gnome/Canonical/Red Hat conspiracy.
          What problems KDE have? I don't know any, so you should name them.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Only if you don't need apps which rely on a tray. I need nextcloud client and KeePassxc. So it is unusable for me

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

Only if you don't need apps which rely on a tray. I need nextcloud client and KeePassxc. So it is unusable for me
              Ironically, the "Kstatusnotifieritem/appindicator support" extension, from KDE team, works well in this case

Comment

Yeh. That's the only extension I install. I get the reasoning for hating icon trays (I hate them too), but it's kind of annoying. I'd rather there be a tray in the system menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Not anywhere near how Unity was.

I currently use:
                  1. Better Volume Indicator
                  2. Caffeine
                    • I disabled screen locking (included in dconf) and yet it went locking (not necessarily when idle), at least this extension makes it work
                  3. Dash to Dock (Gnome is not usable without it)
                    • One good thing about Dash to Dock is that I got back dodging from early Unity
                  4. Frippery Move Clock
                    • Why in hell would you put the clock in the middle, especially when it cuts the title of the window?
                  5. Gsconnect
                    • This one is independent of Gnome
                  6. Mpris Indicator Button
                  7. Onboard Indicator (for occasional lazy mouse use)
                  8. OpenWeather
                  9. Panel OSD
                  10. Sound Input & Device Chooser
                  11. Suspend Button
                    • I have a 4 months uptime and I suspend every night, who is the idiot that removed it?
                  12. TopIcons Plus
                  13. Ubuntu appindicators
                  14. Unite
                    • That's one useless title bar less ( that's just common sense for current screens that are wide)
                  15. User themes
                    • For Gnome not to look ugly and outdated
                  15 extensions to get a usable workflow/desktop, among which at least 10 are due to Gnome own shortcomings at basic features.

I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and more natural than rigid window dragging.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 21 July 2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    Not anywhere near how Unity was.

I currently use:
                    1. Better Volume Indicator
                    2. Caffeine
                      • I disabled screen locking (included in dconf) and yet it went locking (not necessarily when idle), at least this extension makes it work
                    3. Dash to Dock (Gnome is not usable without it)
                      • One good thing about Dash to Dock is that I got back dodging from early Unity
                    4. Frippery Move Clock
                      • Why in hell would you put the clock in the middle, especially when it cuts the title of the window?
                    5. Gsconnect
                      • This one is independent of Gnome
                    6. Mpris Indicator Button
                    7. Onboard Indicator (for occasional lazy mouse use)
                    8. OpenWeather
                    9. Panel OSD
                    10. Sound Input & Device Chooser
                    11. Suspend Button
                      • I have a 4 months uptime and I suspend every night, who is the idiot that removed it?
                    12. TopIcons Plus
                    13. Ubuntu appindicators
                    14. Unite
                      • That's one useless title bar less ( that's just common sense for current screens that are wide)
                    15. User themes
                      • For Gnome not to look ugly and outdated
                    15 extensions to get a usable workflow/desktop, among which at least 10 are due to Gnome own shortcomings at basic features.

I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and natural than rigid window dragging.
                    Then you're using GNOME wrong. GNOME isn't Unity and isn't a Windows or macOS clone.

If you hold over power off, it becomes suspend.

Comment

You got that right: The default state is unusable for you. Not for all people. I do use some other extensions, for example dash to dock, but I never needed or missed that one. Even without dash to dock, I'm pretty quick doing my tasks on gnome, I just think it's more convenient having that.

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                      Ironically, the "Kstatusnotifieritem/appindicator support" extension, from KDE team, works well in this case
                      I don't think thats made by the KDE team. Any proof?

Comment

Working...
                      X